PDA

View Full Version : Tear it down again?

jerry598
10-13-2009, 15:30
Can't remember if I put locktite on the camshaft sproket bolt when I installed it last week. Since that bolt is torqued to 126LBS, what is the chance it would come loose if loctite was not applied?

Should I tear it down again? The front cover, IP and water pump are already installed.

I do remember putting loctite on the camshaft thrust plate bolts and checking the clearance between the plate and the gear after tightening the camshaft bolt to specs - just don't remember putting the blue stuff on that big bolt.

This is a complete rebuild.

DmaxMaverick
10-13-2009, 15:38
If the engine is still out of the truck, I would without hesitation. Right now, it'll only cost you a little time, gaskets and sealer. Later, it could cost the engine. If it's already installed in the truck, I'd have to think about it, but would probably do it. Maybe not right away (depends on how tight the time factor is), but would at my soonest convenience.

Bummer, for sure, but it happens to the best of us.

jerry598
10-13-2009, 18:04
Thanks DmaxMaverik. That's not what I wanted to hear but I'd rather have an honest reply. Engine is not in the truck so I'm probably looking at about 2 hours of work, new gaskets and sealant.

Do you think I would risk a potential leak if I just pulled the water pump backing/adapter plate without removing the water pump? I'm thinking that unless I crack the seal between the pump and the plate, I should be OK there. These are all new gaskets sealed with high temp/RTV silicone gasket sealer as of yesterday.

The sad part is that I would bet money I put that locktite on the bolt, and also the 3 upper/inside front cover bolts. But I don't want to bet the whole engine and my piece of mind on it. Should have kept notes - I was distracted by onlookers and overly concerned about cam gear clearance with the thrust plate.

DmaxMaverick
10-13-2009, 18:24
I'd wait at least 2 days on the gasket/RTV before attempting. It should be fine if it's well cured. If it appears to separate, at any point, at any time, it would be better to reseal it. It wouldn't be beyond me to try it, though.

Also, be sure to use anaerobic sealer on the water pump-to-block bolt threads. Many folks just use RTV. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've used both, and never had a leak. I've seen RTV leak on others, though.

john8662
10-13-2009, 20:48
You don't have to put locktite on the camshaft bolt. There are two specs for torque on the camshaft bolt, you used the larger torque spec. I might consider loctite on the camshaft if using the lower torque spec (which I have on everthing so far), torque not the glue.

If it helps you sleep better at night, take it apart again. But really, no need for the bolt to have loc-tite on it.

Camshaft thrust plate, oh yeah. So, you got the plate in the mail, good deal.

arveetek
10-15-2009, 11:29
I bought an '86 K10 once with a recently rebuilt 6.2L, and a few months later it left me stranded due to a camshaft bolt that backed out, allowing the cam gear to spin and shearing off the key on the shaft. No other engine damage, but it did require tearing the front of the engine down and installing a new key. I suspect the bolt probably was not torqued correctly to begin with.

Casey

Robyn
10-15-2009, 15:42
If you torqued the beast to 126Lbs you should be fine.

I always use loctite as in this area of assembly I usually use my small impact wrench and just wash the threads of the cam and the bolt with Brake Kleen, apply the Blur loctite and then Burp the gun a few times after the bolt is snug.

Never had one come out.

I do sleep well at night with the glue on the threads.

I wont do one without the glue, same with the 3 bolts on the IP gear.

Just far too gut wrenching if any of this stuff falls out.
I use loctite on the bolts that hold the back plate on the water pump too..

Missy

jerry598
10-16-2009, 17:50
Thanks for all the great advise everybody. After carefully considering all of the feedback on this matter, I decided not to worry about it and hope for the best.

I might have missed the locktite on the 3 front cover bolts that are inside the front cover behind the pump drive gear too, but at least they're not on a moving part. There's a 50/50 chance I put locktite on them all anyway, just can't remember - too much tequila and too many dead brain cells over the last 20 years.

All bolts everywhere were clean and torqued to specs and I'm now off to the next part of the project.

P.S. On the water pump to block bolts that intrude into the water jacket I used a Permatex thread sealer with teflon. Don't know if they make that anymore.

Robyn
10-17-2009, 06:35
Sounds like your off an rolling. :)

Missy

Robyn
10-25-2009, 07:29
OH Yess

Welcome to TDP

If you would like you can post a little bit about yourself on the members forum under the thread "Fireside Chat"

Tell us where your from and a few such things.

Glad to have you on board :D

Robyn