PDA

View Full Version : Strange rattle/noise from passenger side

BBCB
10-14-2009, 05:12
All,

I haven't see anything yet with my prelim inspections but sometimes when off-loading the suspension on the passenger side (i.e. making a right turn out of a parking lot onto a street) the engine sound changes tone (louder & "sharper") while the vehicle leans to the left.

Can it be a weak motor mount allowing the exhaust to touch the frame or otherwise cause a vibration? I don't see anything amiss when looking at the mount (granted, I need to do more than a visual check).

As always, thanks in advance,

BBCB

More Power
10-20-2009, 10:11
Might be motor mounts. I'd also check the exhaust system for possible contact with some body/frame component.

I had a situation back in the 1990's where I thought the sound I was hearing was engine related. Checked the motor mounts and everything I could think of. It turned out to be the right-front wheel bearing. It produced a sympathetic harmonic that resonated with engine rpm. Drove me nuts till I found the problem... I discovered the source of the obnoxious noise by (like you) turning right, which loaded the left side and unloaded the right side of the truck.

Jim