PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Options

stantjeeper85
10-14-2009, 07:58
Im ready to start doing all the little things to pull more power out of my na 6.2 (all tho im thinking there wont be that much to do since my military 6.2 is already pulling very nicely). I want to start with exhaust. My truck already has dual flowmaster mufflers with I think 3 inch pipes. I was thinking about cutting those out and just running straight pipes, that would provide even less restriction, and a "better" sound (my suburban doesnt shake the ground quite as much as I want it to). Would it be even more advantageous to run straight 4" pipes? What about losing the dual exhaust and running a huge single pipe like all the newer diesels do?

john8662
10-14-2009, 20:58
IMHO, the diesel engine itself is enough to get some attention without the loud exhaust. Gassers have to have loud exhaust to be noticed, as they're just another truck.

I think a couple magnaflow mufflers on a true dual 3" system is going to be your max possible exhaust system. I'd also look into an H-pipe to even out the sound, and balance the exhaust pulses. You'd also want to make some adapters on the exhaust manifolds to allow you to use larger donuts on the flanges. The stock 2" donut cones down to just 1-7/8". I had a couple manifolds machined out on the ends to accept the next sized up donut which netted me the 3/16" (total ID of 2 1/16") out the small end of the donut.

The machinst cussed me though, evidently that exhaust manifold stuff is hard, haha.

J

350Tacozilla
10-17-2009, 15:21
stans headers have full length headers for our trucks with na 6.2's, from what I have read they give little extra low end power and also make the engine noticeably (sp?) louder even through stock exhaust.

if these react same way a normal chevy gas motor does I would say it should be true on both parts.

you can get stans headers through summit racing online but they arent cheap