PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

oldmechanic
10-14-2009, 14:08
recently purchased 1996 c3500 srw cc 4.10 axle ratio 265 75 r16 tires 240K miles, seems to be low on power & the best fuel mileage I have gotten on 4 tanks of fuel is 13mpg,should I change the injectors ( which I have ) & timing chain & get as many miles as i can out of this engine or I have a complete 96 engine with less than 60K miles.Should I just go ahead & swap engines & be done with it. your thoughts
OM:confused:

More Power
10-14-2009, 15:11
Do a compression check. If the engine is otherwise healthy, I'd do what I could to make the original engine perform better. Perhaps a timing chain. Perhaps getting the fuel injection timing set right... Is the boost pressure normal? Does the transmission shift correctly and does the torque converter lockup when it should?

Jim

oldmechanic
10-14-2009, 17:40
every thing seems good haven't checked comp yet but there is not much blowby & the trans was supposed to have just rebuilt
OM

jerry598
10-17-2009, 10:30
My 95 6.5 TD had some blowby at idle before I tore it down. With the filler cap removed fumes would come out of the tube (it was not chugging or puffing out the tube real hard though). The blowby would go away upon acceleration. Never did a compression check but it used lots of oil even though it didn't show any blue smoke while driving. Upon tearing it down I found 3 cylinders had one ring each (2nd one) stuck solid in the groove.

Wish I had done a compression check to see if those cylinders were low.

oldmechanic
11-23-2009, 18:53
checked timing chain it was tight, compression runs 340 to 380, rebuilt injectors & set them to pop at 2000 psi,installed remote pmd.when starting below 50 degrees it will start right up but will not get above 800 rpm & makes large amounts of white smoke no matter what the throttle position, after 30to60 seconds it will accelerate properly & is good until it gets cold again it is not setting any codes,have removed the cat & muffler, factory pipe size.
on hard acceleration it will make 8psi boost but still does not seem to have as much power as my 93 with the mechanical pump any ideas?

OM:confused: