PDA

View Full Version : GM timing chain VS aftermaket

eracers999
12-21-2004, 22:53
Ok, does anyone have any feelings on the best chain set up available for the 6.5 .

Car Quest has a cloyes set.

GM sets seem to last a long time.

Advance has some chinese made pos.

Just want the best one out there, American made, higest quality.

Kent

Billman
12-22-2004, 04:48
That is the key, Kent. American made.

I had an awful experience with a Chinese chain at the 1999 Keystone Nationals in the waterbox at 6500 rpm with my Supergasser.

I actually went with a belt after that.

Cloyes makes a quality product. I have used them many times.

Have you considered gears?

eracers999
12-22-2004, 06:33
Billy;

I have considered gears, the cost for a non electronic 6.2/6.5 set is acceptable.

Adding a reluctor wheel and upping the price another 200.00 doesent work for me. Makes me feel like im buying parts for my boat or motorcycle if you know what i mean.

Spoke with Pete Jackson gear drives and they said that DSG has their gear drive with the reluctor wheel added. Too bad no one offers a reluctor wheel kit to add to a non electronic gear set.
If im not mistaken you can get a gear set from Pete Jackson for about 160.00 non electronic.

HMMM, crank trigger conversion, naaa.

I asked them why they dont have a web site, reply" Well, the owner is still running windows 95 if that tells you anything.

BTW, nationals , ouch. Were you in qualifying or were you already in??

Kent

john8662
12-22-2004, 07:35
Without looking at both reluctor wheels that come with the gear sets, why can't you use the factory reluctor wheel with the gear set from a 6.2? This is totally a stab in the dark, I've installed the DSG kit in a 6.2, but not in a 6.5, but am familiar with the Reluctor wheel in a factory 6.5.

ucdavis
12-22-2004, 09:48
I bought a new Chinese set of rotors for a Toyota recently. The ID of the hub hole was different by enough thousandths that one wheel was a slight press fit & the other was a few thousandths larger than a press fit. Also, the rotor thickness isn't; I think its a one use set that can not be turned. Add to that the lousy casting quality (fins in between the rotor blades are uneven & still have sand particles stuck to them), and It'll be a cold day in h-e-double-toothpicks before I buy safety related or otherwise critical Chinese parts again. Just turned down a helluva deal on chinese HD truck tires for that reason. Chinese internal engine parts would seem like an unnecessary risk to me.

eracers999
12-22-2004, 10:52
John; Hmmm.
That is the million doller question. Hopfully others will chime in.

Kent

Billman
12-22-2004, 15:25
Kent

Pete Jackson has been around forever. I had one of his gear drives in a SBC I had years ago. Wouldn't dare use it in the race motor.

I kinda figured DSG was using someone elses gears. Just didn't know who.

Crank trigger... Good idea.

Keystones '99. Friday night. Second Round. Done.

RT
12-22-2004, 15:52
Go with the DSG gears. I put a set in my 93 at 118K and now its got 210+K. No issues. If I had done a chain I would now be doing it again..... If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time the cost increase is minimal, IMHO, RT