PDA

View Full Version : Starts and Stalls

NY Diesel
10-20-2009, 13:46
2003 Duramax with 78,000 miles. Truck started and then stalled. Would not start again. Changed fuel filter and primed. Started after repeated pumping of primer, then stalled. Could it be the fuel pump fuse? Where is it located? Can't find it. Maybe the fuel pump itself? Is it in the tank?

Any suggestions that I can do before I have it towed to the garage?

Thanks

Mark Rinker
10-20-2009, 17:53
No in-tank fuel pump. The injector pump in the engine valley is the single pump in the fuel delivery system. Rarely do they fail. Almost never.

Are you certain that new filter is seated properly, with two good o-rings installed?

Could you have an empty tank of fuel, with incorrect gauge reading?

If suspect, I'd fill the tank with good fuel, keep priming and restarting. If$ problem persists, start looking for fuel leaks.

Any white smoke at idle? Any other strange running symptoms prior?

NY Diesel
10-20-2009, 18:21
Problem began prior ro changing filter. New filter seated - no leaks. No prior indication of problem. 3/8 tank of fuel. Ran well prior to this event. No smoke.

When ignition is turned on, should I hear the fuel pump? No sound noticed.

Thanks

Mark Rinker
10-20-2009, 19:18
No sound with key on. Can you reproduce the run/stall at will, with pumping of the primer at the fuel filter?

Did the old filter come off with its o-ring intact?

atchafalaya_man
10-20-2009, 20:34
You DID open the nylon screw at the top of the fuel filter housing when you pushed the primer button?

Push the primer button until pressure is felt. Crack the nylon screw (Use a BIG screwdriver because you can trash the screw head.

You should get a bleed of air, and possibly some fuel with bubbles out of the bleed screw. Close it, pump again...let it set a minute and slowly crack the screw. When JUST fuel comes out under the pressure of the pumping, try that.

When it comes to changing the filter, if you remove or just drop the the right fender liner (Just some pop out retainers) you will be looking right at the filter and it's 10 times easier to tighten the filter and make sure the o-ring is on straight.

You'll thank yourself for removing the wheel well liner once you've done it this way.

atchafalaya_man
10-20-2009, 20:39
Forgot to mention...If the filter has been on the truck for a good while, a cold temp drop can shrink the o-ring just enough to cause a loss of prime. Perhaps THAT is what caused the problem in the first place. Were the O-rings 'flattened' just a bit when you removed them? Add a big temp drop and just enough of a leak could occur to lose prime and cause the start-stall symptom.

NY Diesel
10-21-2009, 16:21
Problem fixed. Leaking filter.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to assist me.

Mark Rinker
10-21-2009, 16:38
No problem!

Don't wait for something to break, to hang around here. Its a good group of GM diesel enthusiasts...