PDA

View Full Version : LLY 6.6L EGR delete??

carco
10-23-2009, 05:13
Is there a block off kit available for the EGR cooler tube assy? to physically remove the cooler tube assy and block off both ends. Mine has burned through and has coolant swapping places. I would like to remove the cooler assy totally. Already has the block off kit for egr gas flow, but I want to remove the cooler totally and need block offs if available. Any suggestions??? TIA. bob...............

Kennedy
10-23-2009, 08:33
In order to do this you would need a LB7 non EGR up pipe from manifold to turbo. Simply capping off the branch pipe will likely lead to a cracked pipe.

I might suggest simply looping out the coolant and capping the ports for starters.

Are you 100% pisitive that this is the issue? I have had requests for EGR coolers, but naver really had a verified leaker case.

carco
10-23-2009, 09:15
John, the coolant has been looped out for about a year and today I noticed a coolant leak. Traced the leak to heater hose laying on egr cooler, melted through by exhaust heat. Exh soot all over turbo inlet and other engine parts. Nipple tubes on cooler sooted on ID surface and when started exhaust is noted out of in-out nipples. Therefor I concluded EGR cooler had burned or broken through allowing exh to the coolant side and out in-out coolant nipples.

Sounds like I will seal the nipples and replace the hose and protect it from the EGR cooler.

Thanks John. bob...................

THEFERMANATOR
10-23-2009, 09:23
I know a few have removed the passenger side up-pipe and simply welded the EGR cooler port closed there and essentially made it into an LB7 up-pipe.

carco
10-24-2009, 13:43
Well for now it is fixed. Removed the cooler and pressurized the coolant side with air, blows out the exhaust passages, yes, leaking big-time.

Wanted to be rid of the cooler, less weight, less heat storage and takeing up space makeing it difficult to see anything else in the egr cooler vicinity and now the 06 turbo mouth piece and heater hose have more area to reside.

Used a chop saw, cut off both end flanges and cleaned up on grinder. Cut 2 scrap pieces of metal, shaped and readied flange plates to weld over the flanges where the cooler center section was cut off. Mig welded the flange plates to the flanges and painted black. Cleaned the old metal gaskets and sprayed w/copper coat. Installed the flanges, useing antiseize on the bolts, to their original positions checked for leaks all OK. Replaced leaking heater hose.
bob.......................

maverick_935
03-01-2010, 10:22
If I change the exhaust to a MBRP 4" do I or should I block off the EGR. I have an EDge w attitude coming this week and I was thinking about the exhaust to help with the heat issues.

carco
03-01-2010, 10:42
If I remember correctly the opened up exhaust may allow an EGR code to set. I believe I would go to JKennedy sales and look for an egr block kit/finger stick kit to fool the ecm that the egr is ok. Besides do not need the abrasive recirculated carbon particles, EGR, contaminating the oil and increasing wear internally. hth.....................

maverick_935
03-03-2010, 11:31
If I understand the Kennedy site correctly, I can put on the 4" exhaust, unplug the EGR system and not worry about it because I have the FE9 emissions. Is this right?

carco
03-04-2010, 05:56
Maverick, I do not know about your 05 LLY, but my 04 LLY set egr codes unplugged, but no light (CEL). However my friendly dealer service manager ask that I do away w/the code in case the truck was in while a GM dealer rep was in the shop and saw the code and put 2+2 together and disallowed warranty for tampering. Never was an issue for me but he made some sense and I did the fingerstick. hth bob........................

Kennedy
03-04-2010, 07:05
If I understand the Kennedy site correctly, I can put on the 4" exhaust, unplug the EGR system and not worry about it because I have the FE9 emissions. Is this right?

There will always be DTC's when you do this, but typically will not set the SES light or take corrective action.