PDA

View Full Version : Battery venting Acid?

rat4go
10-23-2009, 09:56
Guys,

In Jan of this year, it was time to replace the OEM Delco's in my truck. Local auto store sold me a pair that were a bit more CCA, etc than the OEM units and about $40/ea cheaper. Wonder if I got what I paid for as the new batteries were not 'sealed' (and I didn't really notice this on purchase). Removable caps and vents in the caps have ended up venting acid from the passenger side battery onto the battery's foam heat shield, the battery tray, and other stuff in that area. Not good for the paint on the battery tray or much of anything else the acid got on. I checked electrolyte level to see if it was just overfilled, but it looked fine. My logic was that it was overfilled originally, and the extra was what was expelled. I rinsed the area off, brushed on a water/baking soda sol'n, rinsed and repeated the water/baking soda sol'n/rinse again. Recent check shows that it's still venting acid, just not as much.

Dunno if I'm gunna end up with a low acid level in the battery, killing the battery early, or what. Also don't know if I'm just dealing with a bad vent, or just a vented battery in the 'hot corner' of the engine compartment when I shoulda got a sealed unit.

Anyone else seen this and/or have suggstions??

Thanks!

Rat4Go

Hillbilly Jim
10-27-2009, 15:06
Have We seen this-Yes
Suggestions-No
I have had this problem since new on my 2001.
It has been discussed a number of times on this forum and I never found a good solutition.
Do a search and you should get a number of hits.

letsgo
10-27-2009, 19:44
I would say your alt. voltage reg. is screwed up, and yor over charging, thus boiling the battery.

TheJDMan
10-31-2009, 09:27
You might try installing a battery mat under the battery. At least that would nutralize the acid.

http://www.batterymat.com/

Mark Rinker
10-31-2009, 11:10
Its a hot corner, period. Plan on that battery going bad, first. The OEM Delco's do the same thing (vent acid) but not as badly as what you've described.

You can extend the life of the pair by rotating batteries seasonally, beating each one up alternately, and equally. At least when one finally fails, you can replace the pair and not feel like you are throwing one good one away.

Optima Reds next time...sealed gel seems to work better under the stress. Just your checkbook gets beaten up. LOL :D