PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer - warranty info for 2004 pickup

vernj4
10-26-2009, 22:12
Today went to see if the malfuncting speedometer would be covered under warranty. Since the truck is a 2004 with 86,200 miles, I really didn't think it would be covered by the Warranty.
Well to my suprise, after checking the vin number, the service person indicated that GM would supply the parts and I would be responsible for the labor to install. Estimated labor was $125. Sounded fair to me!!

KT368
12-30-2009, 19:05
I am also experiencing Speedometer issues also. Been Started about a month ago. I had received the info that GM sent out awhile back about this info. but I wasn't having any issues at the time. Now that I have 111,000 on my 2004 I doubt they will cover it. But you never know. I will give my dealer a try and see if I can strike a deal like you did.
My speedo sticks, flutters and at the worst coming home from Mammoth Lakes, CA. When I came to a stop the speedo stuck at 70mph. then when I started moving it proceeded to go up all to 120 and stay pegged. I still had a 5 hour drive home without my speedo. Really weird. The next morning it was back to normal. Did you have any scenarios like this?

z28racergirl
07-15-2010, 18:05
I came here to research the behavior I saw on my truck for the first time last night. 2003 Duramaxx/Allison 4 door 2WD 80K miles. Stopped to secure a load (groceries in back seat :rolleyes:) got on a steep uphill onramp and tach rose to 4K+ (wasn't revving that high according to my ears) and speedo to 95 mph. Pulled over, shut it down, walked around truck, saw nothing wrong, started it back up. BTW the tach and speedo needles stayed high. Tach stayed around 1.5K the rest of the drive although it sounded and felt like it was shifting normally. Speedo eventually pegged. Would come down to 70 mph under braking.

What did you eventually do? Dealer cover new parts, you pay warranty? Off to do more research online...

Thanks in advance,
Christine

tufcj
07-16-2010, 14:22
They did extend the warranty on 2003-2004 trucks to 7yrs/70K miles. It is a known problem, so you may be able to phone GM and ask for cost assistance. I had my cluster changed 3 times under warranty for this problem.

See this thread: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=30019&highlight=speedometer+warranty

Bob
tufcj