PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug problem?

Schmidthead
10-27-2009, 16:57
When I go to start my truck in the morning the "wait to start" light stays on as usual and then goes off for just a few seconds and then goes back on and off intermittently for almost a minute until it finally stops, and i start the truck. I'm a total nube with diesel and was wondering if it is a glow plug problem or something else. My truck is a 1998 K1500 6.5TD and I park it in a garage every night.
any help and advice is very appreciated!

DmaxMaverick
10-27-2009, 18:00
Welcome aboard!

What you describe sounds like it's probably normal. Much depends on engine and ambient temperature. You should be starting it at the end of the first glow cycle. The later cycles are happening to maintain plug heat, help with warm-up and reduce smoke and rattle, also known as "afterglow".

Schmidthead
10-27-2009, 19:13
great, thanks very much for the support! Out of curiosity what are the symptoms of glow plug failure/malfunction?

DmaxMaverick
10-27-2009, 22:37
Generally, a GP controller/relay/wiring failure will be indicated by the WTS lamp coming on when it shouldn't, not when it should, or flickering. But, most of the time, the engine won't start cold to warm, with lots of white smoke, or takes a lot of cranking to get it fired off.

Robyn
10-28-2009, 07:49
The older 6.2 glow systems would cycle on for about 8-10 seconds and then do a "Post Heat" on off cycle series.

What you describe sounds very normal.

The later 6.5 engines normally cycle on for the 8-10 seconds and then possibly post heat a couple times on and off

What year, model of truck and engine do you have.???

Let us know

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
10-28-2009, 11:18
1998, he said. So, the GP's are PCM controlled.

winemaker
10-28-2009, 23:31
And he's in Prince George. It must be getting cold over night by now,eh?
Down here in Vancouver my truck will do that on and off through the winter months and PG is a damn sight colder than Van.

Schmidthead
10-29-2009, 15:28
In the morning I'm getting a little bit of white smoke out the tailpipe, which doesn't concern me at all, but maybe i should have clarified that after my truck has been started the "wait to start" light will still flash for a few cycles. If the driving lights are on they surge, which leads me to believe that power is being diverted while the truck is running IE to the glow plugs when it shouldn't be??

DmaxMaverick
10-29-2009, 16:37
Your GP operation sounds completely normal. It will change, as the weather changes. The white smoke could be a couple glow plugs not up to snuff, but more likely tired injectors, depending on how many miles are on them. If it starts well, the smoke clears up quickly and it runs well, I wouldn't worry too much. Something to think about in the near future, though.

Schmidthead
10-31-2009, 16:07
I've only got 150xxx Km's on it, i'll keep the glow plugs in mind down the road. What oil would you recomend for my next change? this is my first year with cold weather to think about, i was thinking about putting 0w 40 in it? what do you think?

Yesterday
10-31-2009, 19:14
I run 0W40 oil all year. Weather here in Alberta is just too unpredictable.
Works well down to about -40, oil pressure comes up pretty quick. When I
checked out the specs, it actually can handle hotter temps than 15W40.

Plan to add an oil pan heater this winter, -45 or colder and even synthetic
takes too long to start circulating.

Duane