PDA

View Full Version : Stalling problems as well

digital dummy
10-29-2009, 06:02
Just joined your forum. Glad to see there are lots of knowledgeable folks here, as my mechanical skills are limited (I just mastered putting the key right side up a few weeks ago, lol)

Just bought a 98 silverado, 6.5, and it was skipping and skipping, then quit. It starts right back up, but eventually stalls.

Is there a way to test to see if it is actually this pmd that you refer to? Here on the east coast of Canada, the factory part is over $800.

Right now, the truck is at a garage, but they are stumped, (but the clock is still ticking if you know what I mean).

The fuel pressure gauge jumps from half to quarter in jerky type motions. I had a 6.2 that when I changed the oil pressure sensor, everything was great, and I am hoping this might be the problem.

In any case, I am really enjoying the forum

DD

john8662
10-29-2009, 15:01
Your post was removed from another thread and placed into it's own, please don't "hi-jack" old threads. Creating your own thread is the best method. This ensures your question gets read, and has the highest success of being answered this way...

Case at Hand:

Oil Pressure switch is one thing can could be faulty and causing a lack of the lift pump operating. The lift pump needs to be operating to keep the injection pump supplied with fuel. The pump can pull fuel by itself but it will cause the PMD to run hot and fail.

You will need to verify you have fuel pressure from the lift pump working.

Hop underneath the truck and grab the lift pump which resides on the driver's side frame rail right after the transmission crossmember (round device with two wires going in it). while running you should feel the pump pulsating. If it's not running verify you have power going to it (measure power at the connector). If you have 12+ then replace the pump. If you don't then change the Oil Pressure Switch/Sendor, then re-test.

The PMD is likely bad already anyways. You can research the vendors here on the page for a replacement unit, most likely on an external cooler (saves removing the old one from the pump).

Feel free to use the Search feature in the blue bar near the top of the page for keywords such as "stalling". I'd recommend selecing the "Advanced" search and selecting 6.5 Turbo Diesel in the list and then performing the search. This is a COMMON issue, you'll find tons of good info.

J

digital dummy
11-04-2009, 06:59
thanks for the reply, and I apologize for bumping into someone elses post. Like I say, sort of new at this.

DD

DaveBr
11-04-2009, 18:37
If you need a PMD you can get one a lot cheaper from advertisers on this site.

digital dummy
12-21-2009, 08:31
figures....all signs pointed to the pmd.

Replaced it and took a maiden voyage, and it run fine, then within 5 minutes started to chug again.

don't think my wallet isn't a little ticked.

I can hear the pump running when i turn the key on. Not sure if it runs all the time, but it does when I turn the key.

The oil pressure gauge does have "jerky" motions. When I am running it runs about half way, but idling, it goes down to about 1/4. When I reve the motor, the needle seems to go up, but in these jerky motions.

Other than that, any ideas?

Thanks