PDA

View Full Version : Small generator

Kennedy
10-30-2009, 12:04
I have a Honda EU6500is inverter generator at the cabin. Way bigger than needed and plan to bring it home. I figure a Honda EU2000i would suffice. I do have an AC unit, but it's on teh fritz and if it can't be fixed I would go to one that the little 2kw would start. Or I could do a parallel kit with another 2kw.

Problem is, now I see the Yamaha 2000 and it looks sweet too. Some discussion of the 2400 Yamaha seems to suggest they may tend to build a bit short on engine power.

Then I see the tri-fuel/hybrid/propane kits and now I'm really torn. I only ever overnight there during hunting, but when I do I start the generator and let it run on the eco throttle through the night. I have no desire to go out and fuel up. This is where the LP would shine...

In reality it sits 99% of the time which is another reason that propane would make a lot of sense. I've seen some of the RV sites where guys have LP converted units, but not a whole lot of real world experience/notes, etc. I hate to just jump into anything.

Anybody with experience with these little guys on propane?

rogers
10-30-2009, 14:19
I can't answer your question directly. I can tell you that when I'm not fighting fire I do construction. We have used propane, diesel, electric, and even one gasoline powered heaters. The best ones are diesel and propane. The diesel is best because it has a higher btu rating. The propane is a real close second for ease of use and being way cleaner than diesel. Most of the permanent generators hooked to houses or hospitals or businesses are natural gas. Propane has a higher btu rating than natural gas. You should, if you haven't already, take price per gallon into consideration. In Juneau, for instance, propane is around $3.55 a gallon and diesel around $3.29 a gallon. I run diesel heaters and generators.

convert2diesel
10-30-2009, 14:46
John:

Bunch of pros and cons. Propane doesn't go skunky over time, doesn't need a fuel pump and you can get a number of tank sizes to hook up to it. If you are using it in cold weather (under 25F) you have to heat the fuel to get it to vaporize, doesn't like starting cold, has 20% less bang then gasoline (read you need more for any given HP), your engine won't last as long and the stuff stinks.

Maybe you should try to find a gasser with a big tank like the ones they sell for construction sites. Can't believe the Honda can't run overnight on a single tank. Maybe it's the 50" widescreen you have set up in the cabin ;)? The skid mounted ones are probably louder but at least you don't have to keep filling them up and certainly alot cheaper then the "suitcase" style units.

Bill

markelectric
11-01-2009, 14:07
Older age means I cannot remember where but I did see a larger tank for the Honda 2000. A special cap and a hose to the bigger storage unit. Somehow siphons or pulls fuel into the standard unit

DickWells
11-03-2009, 17:59
Our Honda 2000 will go 8-9 hrs, if you don't have much load on it. A 27 in. LCD TV and a few 12V bulbs will easily let it run overnight on auto-econ mode. Don't fire up the micro, though!

Kennedy
11-03-2009, 18:46
Older age means I cannot remember where but I did see a larger tank for the Honda 2000. A special cap and a hose to the bigger storage unit. Somehow siphons or pulls fuel into the standard unit

That's probably what I will end up with. I've seen the setup and it's simple. I'm pretty sure that the std setup would suffice also.

Thinking it will be too cold for LP during hunting season...

cowboywildbill
11-04-2009, 12:00
We use a Honda EU 3000. It will run everything in our LQ Horse trailer. Our trailer is 40 ft. and has all of the amenities of a big 5th wheel including a 12' slide out and electric fireplace that heats. And it runs more stuff at the same time than our Tractor supply 4250 watt gen would???? Go figure with less of a rating wattage wise?. Now it won't run the microwave and coffee pot and AC all at the same time together,but then niether would the other one. And the other one burned 4 X's as much gas and was noisy. but it will carry a couple of the appliances together. I run it on the echo throttle and it will usually run from 12 pm until 930 am or later on one tank of gas. About 3 gallons I think and with the a/c running all day and night and dtv & 32" LCD and lights and the fridg on electric also.
Sometimes I think I would have liked to get two EU 2000's and tie them together, but I put a wheel kit on the EU3000 and then put bigger wheels also. So we don't have to lift it.
We have had it going on 3 yrs and love it. They make some clones or copies of it, and I hear they are OK, and 1/2 the cost, but I don't know about longevity. Hope that helps.
And you can buy reg gas anywhere.

MacDR50
11-04-2009, 14:20
I work at an emergency response depot. We have generators from 300 watt to 525kw. We do not use propane due to its low temperature limit. While propane will vaporize at temps down to -44f it just isn't efficient much below freezing. Many of our mid-size portable units (4000 - 10000 watts) are diesel. While somewhat heavier than a gas equivalent they are more efficient and more reliable even when stored for long periods. We use now ULSD in the units. In cold weather we add ULS Kerosene to improve performance and eliminate gelling problems. With no external ignition system they have fewer issues with moist atmospheres. They are definitively more noisy.

We just received 4 new 4000 watt models made by Aurora. We have several 10kw models by the same company that seem to be well made but they have few hours so I can't speak to reliability.

Hope this helps.

miltspager
11-21-2009, 09:57
I use two eu2000is and have a Marine type gas tank going to a Y and two special caps that the hose goes into, then as you use your gallon internally, it draws from the external tank. Works perfect as long as caps are tight and pressure release is open on the external tank.

When I don't need the capacity, just use one. Two 2000s are lighter than one 3000

Kennedy
11-30-2009, 13:29
Gander Mtn had the EU2000i on special (Honda promo thru Nov) at $899 and on Turkey day they had the $20 Gander cash for every $100 spent (limit 5x20= $100) so I gave it a shot.

Sound is comparable to my EU 6500is which makes sense because the rating is similar.

Performance: It started the AC from Eco throttle no problem. I did not run the AC for long, but it seemed OK and no O/L indicator. It's cold out this time of year, but I had teh cabing up nice and toasty to get it to kick in. So long as it doesn't try to short cycle and start before bleeding down the compressor it will be fine.

I do plan to look at the aux tank trick, but at 15hrs run time I have plenty of capability.

I also plan to add one of the mini tach/hour meters. Definitely need it. I checked my 6500 meter and it shows 180hrs on the original oil fill :eek: That's what happens when more than one operator is involved...

Next is to get ahold of a nospill gas can...

Grayfox
12-03-2009, 20:29
Kennedy,

Hope this helps.

http://wisesales.com/DurationTanks.html