PDA

View Full Version : Cold starting issues

Turbo6.5
10-31-2009, 11:47
Hello, I am new here and wish I knew about this Forum years ago, Could have saved me from blowing 2 engines, one on a previous 1993 Same as I have now just two years older. Truck runs fine once I get her started but just hard to start if I haven't run her for 24 hrs. Getting plenty of smoke coming out of the exhaust while trying to start, she will just crank and crank until she finally fires up then runs fine all day long, So I was thinking wasn't getting fuel to engine fast enough. So I started to troubleshoot a couple of the obvious, Unhooked the electric fuel pump under the drivers side door toward the engine and it's definitly pumping diesel, Glowplugs can't be cleaned from what I've read, cleaned air filter. Any other ideas that I haven't checked. I am ashamed to admit this, but I do not know too much about my engine and turbo and thats why I am here, to learn how to properly maintain my truck since I do all my own maintenance, oil & filter and air filter:) Any other suggestiond on what else I can do??
All suggestions are appreciated. Pat

rustyk
10-31-2009, 17:34
First, check the ground connections. Glow plugs can be cleaned - but that's unlikely to be a problem - they aren't too difficult to replace. Also check the fuel return lines; you could be sucking air back into the fuel system.

Turbo6.5
11-01-2009, 05:51
I was thinking there might be air in the lines, but I figured if the lines were cracked, wouldn't I also be leaking fuel too??

DennisG01
11-01-2009, 07:21
Welcome!

Have you checked to see that the plugs are good? Here's a quick search I did for you that returned a couple of threads on checking them: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=30820&highlight=check+glow

I'd start with the easy, and likely, culprits.

Does it start better if you pug it in for about 4 or 5 hours?

Turbo6.5
11-01-2009, 15:48
Welcome!

Thank you for the Thread!! That can very well be the problem and now know where to start looking to troubleshoot, Once she fires up she runs great all day, I will plug her in tonight and see how she does in the morning and will definitly get back on here tomarrow morning to let you know what happened (Same or Started right up) I was thinking it could be the origanal Glowplugs, how can I check the injector spray?? I know I can loosen where it goes into the engine to see if fuel is going to the engine until it pee's out a little, but can I just buy new injector heads too??
Thanks for your help, she just started doing it about 3 weeks ago when it started to cool down 40*-50* at night and still about 45* in the morning, What temp do you guys start plugging her in at night??
Man I must really sound like a Newbie even though this is my second truck with a 6.5L Turbo 3rd engine, Sorry for all the questions I have no-one here who can give me an honest answer for less than $1000, Just had the (used) engine put in about a year ago for $6400. It's time for me to start learning what I need to do.

Turbo6.5
11-02-2009, 15:11

I will plug her in tonight and see how she does in the morning and will definitly get back on here tomarrow morning to let you know what happened (Same or Started right up)
Thanks for your help, she just started doing it about 3 weeks ago when it started to cool down 40*-50* at night and still about 45* in the morning, What temp do you guys start plugging her in at night??

I plugged her in last night and got in her this morning and she fired right up, just like she did before, I haven't used an injector cleaner for over 2 yrs, Do you think I should use an injector cleaner that I add to fuel tank, Will this help??

DennisG01
11-02-2009, 15:37
Fired right up like "she did before". "Before" when all was good, or "before" when it wasn't so good?

If good, then I think you found the problem - plugs.

A good additive is good idea to use all the time. Based on what you're saying, though, I don't think the injectors are the problem.

Turbo6.5
11-02-2009, 15:56
Fired right up like "she did before". "Before" when all was good, or "before" when it wasn't so good?

If good, then I think you found the problem - plugs.

"Before" the temp outside dropped down below 50*, I plugged her in and she started right right up this morning.
So you think it's the plugs, what about the fan spred in the injectors.

DmaxMaverick
11-02-2009, 16:11
Your injectors could be needing attention, but....your current "NO START" issue is the glow plugs. Either they aren't getting power, for whatever reason, or enough of them have failed to prevent a cold start. Fix the GP system, first.

If your injectors are at a point you are questioning whether you should have used an additive, it's too late. Maybe a dose of Sea-Foam could help, but the regular additive will take, at least, as many miles to cure as it took them to get where they are. If you have 100K or more miles on them, just replace. Testing at this point is a waste of money.

Turbo6.5
11-02-2009, 17:19
Thanks DMax, ya the plugs could be as old as 1995 and I will replace them other than that she runs good, There are alot of modifications that I should do after reading here that the engines from the factory weren't up to code to begin with, so will be buying a book when money gets alittle better and start working on her, Thanks again.
Out of curiosity, how long before you replace glowpugs, I was always told "either their good or their not" How often should they really be replaced??

DmaxMaverick
11-02-2009, 23:08
If the plugs are original, they should be replaced at your earliest convenience. If not original, then the old saying applies, depending on which plugs are installed. The original 9G plugs work better/faster than most any other, but have a tendency to swell when they fail (and get stuck in the head, or break pieces off into the cylinder), which usually happens the first time the controller fails closed (energized). If you have later, thermistor type plugs (heat regulated), then they are good until they aren't. They don't "wear" out, they just quit. My favorite plug is the AC11G. They don't last as long as the AC60G, but heat twice as fast and don't swell when they quit. My next choice would be a "Quick Heat" type, which is an aftermarket item. A few of our Advertisers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm) sell them. They are comparable to the 9G functionally, but don't swell when they fail. Ultimately, the 60G will last a very long time, but they heat very slow, as much as 3X more GP cycle is needed for the same heat.

Turbo6.5
11-03-2009, 15:49
Thanks DMax!! I will follow your recommendation on using the AC11G, They sound like much better glowplugs even though they need to be replaced sooner than the AC60G. I am probably going to ask alot of stupid questions to you, but to me they are things that I really need to know, So please bare with me. I will try using the "Search" function first though. I was looking through the original 1995 manual that came with the truck under the "maintenance" section and there are alot of new to me things I see I need to learn. Thanks again for your input and glad that I finally 2 engines later found this site.:cool: Thanks Again!!