PDA

View Full Version : 5-Speed Rebuild

GMCfourX4
12-22-2004, 07:13
I have had some growling noises for a long time coming from my trans, but they weren't very loud, and I've heard other people complain of similar noises from the NV4500... I recently dropped the trans to replace my 3rd or 4th (who can keep track?) pilot bearing with a bushing. I also drianed the trans and filled it with RedLine GL4. It seemed fine for a few days, but the clutch chatter came back again, then a few weeks later (and probably 4,000 miles.... I took a couple trips) I'm sitting at a light in neutral, and it feels like I just lost an injector (the way a truck runs when you just started it in -20* weather and not all the glow plugs are working...). I rev it slightly, and the shaking keeps going. The Light turned, and I put the truck in gear, and the vibration suddenly stopped... I realized its the input shaft. I had no choice but to drive her to work today, and it comes and goes, but I'm starting to get some vibration while its in gear now too, so I have to figure this out and fix it quick. I'd like to rebuild the trans myself, but I need to know where to get a rebuild kit. Has anyone done this themself? I recently rebuilt a 4L60E, and didn't have any problems with that, so I figure the manual is probably easier. I don't have any issues with shifting (I think the synchros are fine, even with 146,000mi) Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

GMCfourX4
12-22-2004, 07:26
Also, I am going to need a new input shaft, or have the imput shaft machined and speedy-sleeved, b/c the pilot bearings chewed the end.

-Chris

GMCfourX4
12-22-2004, 13:40
I talked to someone at Standard Transmission today who said he thinks it may just be the clutch or the input shaft/pilot bearing. If this is the case, any idea where best to track down an input shaft, or have one fixed in the Boston area?

-Chris

twaddle
12-23-2004, 01:28
Hi there,
Try putting a search out on ebay for "NV 4500".
There are a couple of rebuilders use ebay.
I usually use there feedback as a rough guide to whether the seller is genuine or not.

They may be able to supple you with advice and a rebuild kit and shaft.

Just in case, also check the gearbox input bearing for excess clearance or roughness.
This could be putting strain on the pilot bush.
Is the clutch plate ok, no broken or missing springs to cause a balance problem which can lead to damaged bearings?
Good luck.
Let us know how you get you get on.

Regards and Happy Christmas.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

C.K. Piquup
12-23-2004, 03:36
You have the solid flywheel,right?I had similar problems from a dual mass flywheel.

C.K. Piquup
12-23-2004, 04:00
I just saw your reply to my older post about ext/int slave cylinders.If you still have that DMF,I`m willing to bet you`ll find your problem there.Check the rubber snubbers and/or check for cracks/seperation in flywheel.I had the latter on my`95.It was peeling from the center-out.I thought I was throwing a rod.

GMCfourX4
12-23-2004, 05:41
CK - My truck came from the factory with the single mass flywheel... The clutch is fairly new, and I had the trans out fairly recently, and the clutch showed no signs of wear, and the springs were in the same shape they were when it went in.

Twaddle - Thanks, I've found some places by doing a google search that can supply the parts for the rebuild, if I need it. I spoke to a guy from Standard Transmission and Gear (in Fort Worth, TX) who said that it sounds like its the pilot bushing, and made worse by the fact that the end of the input shaft isn't totally smooth, it got eaten up a bit by the last pilot bearing that bit the dust, and I wasn't able to track down a replacement at the time. I'm going to try to find a new input shaft, and bearing if necessary.

Thanks for the replies, wish me luck!

-Chris

a5150nut
12-23-2004, 17:16
Try Driveline.com (http://drivetrain.com) for kits/parts. I checked a couple months ago an IIRC it was $146.00 for rebuild kit and $184.00 for a new input shaft.