PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever had trouble removing the shutoff solenoid?

Pipeline Mechanic
11-02-2009, 19:48
I am having a few quirks with my little "conversion" project, it shuts down
after restart and is hard to start. I have a remote FSD already installed and am getting adequate fuel pressure from the lift pump sooooooo......... I decided to pull the solenoid, and it is the one with the bolt head on top. Well much to my surprise the top spun inside the barrel and cut the wires off! So now I definitely know I have a shutoff solenoid problem. So is it going to be safe to rafe it out with a big pair of "channel lock" pliers?

Robyn
11-02-2009, 20:16
Go easy on it.

The ones that have the hex on top are normally fine and come out easy.
The troublesome ones were those that had the allen socket on top.

Just be easy and it should come right out of the IP

The screw down flush with an O ring under the seat area.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Missy

Pipeline Mechanic
11-03-2009, 18:29
Well I had to get a little rough with it. The channel locks assisted in breaking off the barrel to access the threaded piece that it is stamped on to. A hammer and chisel then removed the rest of it.
Then a trip to Diesel Fixers LLC netted me a used replacement, because I just couldn't wait for one on order.
Here is the old one!
http://i38.tinypic.com/2jdqb9k.jpg
Now for the best part. If you were following along on the install thread you noticed I had some "help". Well my fan found his "missing" 3/8" drive 10mm wobble socket, and launched it straight up through the radiator shroud and it even went partially through the hood! I will get a pic tomorrow, with some sunshine.

More Power
11-04-2009, 11:20
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago who had a similar problem removing (breaking) the solenoid as you did. He eventually made a slotted tool that engaged the bottom piece - then it was easy.

Jim