PDA

View Full Version : Optima Batteries - Not made in the USA anymore!

DarylB
11-05-2009, 17:30
Sad news guys,

I had one of my red top's die recently, it lasted 4 years. Got it replaced under warranty (Pro-rated) for $45. The new ones are only 3-year free replacement and they're not made in the USA anymore. (My yellow top says Mexico). Any other good recomendations for an 84 month or better battery that's cost effective? The optimas aren't worth $150 for 3 years to me.

bobt
11-05-2009, 22:36
I've always been a fan of DieHards. I've been using them for over 40 years and in my experience they last within 2 months of the total warranty. The DieHards in my '93 are at the 100 month mark on a 100 month warranty and still working; but, based on my previous experience, I'm getting ready to replace them.
Bob

CoyleJR
11-06-2009, 10:33
I recently purchased two, blue top Optima batteries online from Amazon. When they arrived, I suprised to find a "Made in Mexico" tag on them. When I asked a local Optima dealer about it, he said that Optima was bought out by Johnson Controls, moved Optima to Mexico and raised the price. Additionally, he said that Optima batteries are no longer gel filled (just lead acid) and that he has been having a lot of failures from the Johnson Controls Optima batteries. I can't confirm what the Optima dealer said, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

DmaxMaverick
11-06-2009, 10:51
Very disappointing, if the quality took a turn. It's no surprise the manufacture of them has moved out of this country. The EPA regulations make it nearly impossible to sustain any business for such products, no matter how necessary they are.

Optima batteries have NEVER been "gel filled". Ever. They have always been lead-acid. It is (was) the design of the battery that makes (made) them unique, attributing their longevity and durability.

I use a lot of Optimas. Blue Tops in the RV, Yellow Tops in the trucks (lots of dry camping). I haven't bought one in a couple years, and hope they get whatever issues worked out before I need another.

More Power
11-06-2009, 12:15
According to the literature, Optima is a sealed and maintenance-free AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery, and they cannot leak even if the case is compromised.

http://www.dcbattery.com/optima2.html

The powersports (boats, motorcycles, ATV, etc) market has gone almost exclusively to AGM type batteries because they retain a charge several times longer during periods of inactivity, cannot leak in any position and they typically last years longer than traditional wet-cell batteries. This is what I now have in my motorcycles cuz I got tired of replacing the cheaper wet-cell batts every couple of years.

My 2001 GMC still has the original pair of ACDelco batteries (9 years old) that the truck left the factory with. And, Lil Red still has the pair of ACDelco batteries I installed new in early 2004. ;)

Jim

MacDR50
11-06-2009, 13:23
Twin AGM 12v (Sunlyte) in my 5th wheel and I have one in my shed for back-up lighting when the power goes and I need to get at the snow blower. Three way charging on the RV ones with shore power, truck and 2 amp solar panel. My buddy has one in his gasser and it is pushing 10 yrs old. We use them where I work in many applications where storage capacity and the durability to stand up to repeat deep cycling is important. Unless overcharged they emit no gas so are nearly explosion proof. They don't have the cranking amps that regular HD wet cells have but they will start anything we have from a truck to a 525 kw diesel generator. Freezing won't damage them and like the man said you can split them open without any leakage.

DarylB
11-06-2009, 13:44
I can't confirm what the Optima dealer said, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

It's out there on their website. They took away the "pro-rating" after the initial 3 year replacement. A new redtop is like $189.99 here at pep boys for a 34/78 model. I think the yellow top was $159.99.

They're 3 year free replacement but that's it. You got 37 months and it's bad you're SOL. I think I'll put my money into a Die-hard next time around

Mark Rinker
11-06-2009, 16:48
I have the email address of a National Sales exec with Optima. Never met him in person, just some online exchanges over a common interest in an automotive racing event. PM me if you'd like me to forward any feedback, thoughts, problems - can't hurt - based on past interactions, I think he would be helpful.

I stand corrected on referring to Optimas as 'gel' batteries in the past. Don't know where I came up with that erroneous term. I let the one and only set (2001 K2500 - RedTops) that I owned go when I sold the truck, should have kept swapping them to the next newest truck, but forgot and *poof* my investment was gone. Would have been interesting to see how far they would have gone!

Overall, have had great luck with A/C Delcos, and that is what I go for. Snow plowing duty + high underhood temps from buku towing puts the hurts on any brand battery, I am averaging about 80K per set - buying new pairs is fairly commonplace, like six or seven sets replaced in the Duramaxes so far.

DarylB
11-19-2009, 12:08
I haven't replaced my other red top yet, since it's still has 35 months of pro-rated warranty left. I'm sort of hoping it'll go ahead and go out so I can get another replacement for under $60. I'm wondering if they stopped with the 84 month program b/c of a lot of replacement issues?

RdTxTd
11-19-2009, 19:19
I used Optima red tops for a long time until one went bad. When Batteries Plus refused to honor the warranty on one after 37 months (even though I bought them there), there was no way I was going to give them money for two new ones. I went with DieHard Platinum. They are AGM - same technology as the Optimas. They are expensive, but I'm confident Sears will honor the warranty - 100 months with 4 years free replacement.

Dave

mmcm267
12-02-2009, 13:27
I have been trying to figure what I would replace my truck batteries with since I am not a fan of Optima. I will be using the "Odessey Dry Cell Batteries" (http://www.odysseybatteries.com/) . I use these in my motorcycles and they are great.:eek:

Mark Rinker
12-03-2009, 07:21
Thanks for posting - lots of choice out there, nice to see someone in the USA is making a similar product.

Still looks alot like a conventional battery, however - I believe the Optimas are spiral wound, rather than plates?

mmcm267
12-03-2009, 08:00
All I can tell you is my Odessey's in the motorcycles are lasting 8+ years and the dual sport bikes really shock the heck out of them. I will be giving them a try in my truck and report back on them.:eek:

DmaxMaverick
12-03-2009, 08:07
Thanks for posting - lots of choice out there, nice to see someone in the USA is making a similar product.

Still looks alot like a conventional battery, however - I believe the Optimas are spiral wound, rather than plates?

Correct. Same AGM technology, but flat instead of spiral. Odyssey batteries are no more a "dry cell" than Optima, which is not a "dry cell". Still wet lead/acid, just sealed by design. The technology doesn't eliminate the drawbacks of traditional wet cell batteries. They just reduce the frequency of issues normally associated with traditional batteries, but they still happen.

SmithvilleD
12-03-2009, 14:07
I have been trying to figure what I would replace my truck batteries with since I am not a fan of Optima. I will be using the "Odessey Dry Cell Batteries" (http://www.odysseybatteries.com/) . I use these in my motorcycles and they are great.:eek:

The PC1500 DT ODYSSEY Drycell Battery, 34/78-PC1500DT is the same battery sold as the Diehard Platinum P4 at Sears. They're made in Warrensburg, MO USA. They are the AGM design, but in a bit more space efficient/dense configuration as compared to the Optima's spiral wind design. I've been told the Optima warranty has been changed/downgraded a year or two ago - seems like RedTop failure stories have become more common also.

I bought the Diehard Platinum P4's because they've topped the Consumer Reports battery performance tests in the 34/78 size for several years now. They're rather expensive @ ~ $180, so maybe not the best battery value. But they are great batteries.

SmithvilleD
12-03-2009, 14:09
http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Heartbeat Hauler
12-12-2009, 21:16
... My 2001 GMC still has the original pair of ACDelco batteries (9 years old) that the truck left the factory with. And, Lil Red still has the pair of ACDelco batteries I installed new in early 2004. ;)

Jim

Same here. I just replaced my AC Delcos last fall on my '01. I put the same batteries back in the truck and hoping they will also last 7 years! Don't buy them from the dealer ($145), they are 50% more in cost than from an AC Delco parts store ($82).

Mark Rinker
12-13-2009, 15:39
I have been using AC/Delcos with only one pair of Optima Reds as an exception.

With our severe cold, multiple daily start and stop cycles, and snowplowing duty, my average is somewhere between 3 and 4 years in service, before one of the pair gives up the ghost.

Always replace in pairs, even though one still has some life left.

Heartbeat Hauler
12-13-2009, 20:14
I have been using AC/Delcos with only one pair of Optima Reds as an exception.

With our severe cold, multiple daily start and stop cycles, and snowplowing duty, my average is somewhere between 3 and 4 years in service, before one of the pair gives up the ghost.

Always replace in pairs, even though one still has some life left.

Which is another reason to avoid high cost batteries...:D

Kennedy
12-14-2009, 08:27
I'm looking at moving away from the Optima reds. I've had good luck with the yellows in my tractors and fork lift, but the reds don't seem to like sitting for a week or more without running. My 07 still has the Delcos and can sit weeks and still crank nice. The one key difference is the remote start on my 2005 may be a drain. I checked with my remote start guy (fellow Dmaxer) and he said he moved away from the Optima reds for the same reasons.

Used to be a red fan, now up in the air...