PDA

View Full Version : Asking for a price break on new oil lines.... Am I being unreasonable?

RT
09-12-2005, 16:38
Hello Gents,
Just a quick pulse check here. I bought/installed a set of aftermarket oil lines for my 93 C2500 a while back. They were the rubber kind of hose. Since then I have heard of rubber hoses failing. Obviously I don't want this to happen and not failing was a major reason to purchase the aftermarket product in the first place. I noticed the vendor is now stocking braided stainless lines and not the older rubber style so I inquired about the change. The vendor indicated that I shouldn't have a problem as long as I don't tow heavy. Well since it is a construction truck and I tow pretty regularly I was understandably worried. I asked via email, point blank, for a price break on the new stainless lines to replace the old ones. I have yet to hear an answer but I wonder if this was out of line? I don't see how it is. I just would like a possible problem delt with but I don't see how I should be made to pay full price for something I should not have to be worrying about or working on twice. Does this make sense or am I out of line? I dunno if this post is appropriate but I sure would like to think that vendors are going to stand behind the products they sell. Lemme know what you think guys and lets keep it civil. This is not intended to be a witchhunt just a commentary. RT

rjschoolcraft
09-12-2005, 18:30
The potential for heat related failures was something I noted when I first saw those lines. I don't think you're out of line at all. However, I would never have installed them in the first place.

roclongrider
09-13-2005, 04:56
And let us know the outcome. If you're satisfied with the service we'll want to know about a good vendor!!

jspringator
09-13-2005, 05:03
Mine did fail while going through Sulfur Springs West Virginia on a Friday night. Hose burned by being mounted too close to exhaust manifold. Apparently, you can get custom hoses made in Sulfur Springs until 10:00 pm. Cabin filled full of smoke; I thought it had blown something and was on fire. Never lost oil pressure, though!

trbankii
09-13-2005, 05:06
My thought would be vendor has identified a potential problem with the product that does apply to you. I don't see any disrespect in asking. I guess the question would be whether there was any warranty implied on the original hoses.

Marty Lau
09-13-2005, 09:22
I think it would make sense for a vendor to give an previouse buyer a break on a replacement item. Bill Heath gives buyer a break on his MaxiTorq E-Prom 2.0 if you bought the prior version. From a business stand point it show your buyers your into supplying parts and upgrades for the long haul and not in it for a quick buck.

john8662
09-13-2005, 12:53
I know exactly what you're saying here.

I've talked to the vender in question, the lines work fine on the 95 models, there is MORE clearance on these trucks. I have these lines on my 95 burb. Since I am installing a new engine, I'm going to reuse the aftermarket fabric-wrapped hydraulic lines with the new engine. I'm confident in them, there was plenty of room away from the exhaust manifold.

What you can do for peace of mind is purchase some DEI heat shield (like what covers the heater lines near the turbo under the hood) over the oil cooler lines in areas that are suspect.

If you're worried about the lines, you still have two options.

Replace the whole oil cooler line and cooler with the DSG setup (cost mucho $$).

OR, upgrade to the steel braded version, which when viewed in person looks like a really nice product, IMO they will be worth paying the full price for, considering the hardware you're getting.

flintspear
09-13-2005, 18:51
RT in Peacedale: re rubber oil lines. Send them back, get your money back, and get the upgraded lines from the vendor, or, if you can get them, factories, which are all metal near the manifold. If you can't get metal lines, or at least credit on the fabric rubber lines toward armored aftermarkets, rebuild the old factories with Bill Heath's instructions. It doesn't look hard. I replaced aftermarkets that failed in the middle of nowhere with factories. In time, I am going to got to DSG's or make up a set of my own. All rubber lines must be at least 2 inches from manifolds (SWAG). Mine were about 1/2 inch. I should have known better. They WILL fail if you tow heavy.

98 K3500, KN filter.

redbird2
09-22-2005, 18:04
I work for Frito-Lay we switched to all stainless steel lines from the rubber aluim lines 3 years ago have never had a line failure in 3 years, I would replace 1 set a week before that for seeping, lost 18 engines in 4 years do to those crap lines they where selling, I just installed a 6.5 TD into my 98 had lines made locally for fraction of the cost of buying aftermarket even, I also installed an external oil, cooler to go along with the radiator cooler, so my truck has 3 oil cooler lines