PDA

View Full Version : Tech 2 & OBD 2 diagnostic tools ?

cowboywildbill
11-09-2009, 06:30
I had a cheap $ 100.00 OBD code reader scanner that woul read and clear codes, however it wouldn't communicate with our 07 classic.
I just purchased a Sears OBD 2 scanner that cost $299.00 and was on sale for $199.00 and is supposed to be pretty good. I tried it out on our truck and it linked up it read the rpm, but no other functions like fuel rail pressure and so on. I don't have any trouble codes and it told me that obviously. Just wondering if I should have purchased a different one. Any body have any experience with the Sears OBD tools?
I would love to have the same one that GM uses but they are mucho denaro$$$$.
Any idea's. Thanks

conway
11-09-2009, 10:31
Have you talked to Kennedy Diesel? He has an ODB2 unit on sale.

More Power
11-09-2009, 10:53
Does the (is there a) Diablo Predator Programmer for the 2007+ display engine data?

The Predator is my favorite programmer for the LB7 because it has the ability to display hundreds of engine data points and read/clear codes, which makes it extremely useful for troubleshooting.

Jim

cowboywildbill
11-11-2009, 03:45
Will the preditor work on the lbz, and if so would it void my warranty to use it ?
I've heard that if you even hook a programmer up they know it.

joed
11-11-2009, 07:39
If you have a laptop, you can run Car Code software - it's mainly a scanner but does have some function controls.

Info can be found at Obd-2.com.

The 06 and up use the CAN system (even though his dropdown indicates VPW).

Hope that helps.

Joe.

cowboywildbill
11-11-2009, 11:18
thanks, I just bought a equus innova 3160 obd2. From ebay for $208.00 the other dealers wanted over $300. for the same unit. It is supposed to do all of the duramax's and also trans live and abs. This is the same company that makes the one's for Sears. Hope it works.
I'll return my Sears unit. I would love to have a tech 2 or the one John advertises, but I just can't afford it.

Kennedy
11-16-2009, 10:44
I do not trust the Predator's data for the most part. I'm not sure if they ever fixed the missing Boost and Baro data points, but from what I have seen with teh balance rates they tend to show high on the Pred. I belive that this may have to do with the sampling rate or averaging times, but they just did not jive with my Tech 2.

The OBD2 code reader that we offer is just a code reader. There are models available with OBD2 data points, but when we look at diesel specific data, even the higher dollar Snap-on, Mac, Matco etc tools often have issues.

cowboywildbill
11-20-2009, 18:33
Thanks John for the input, I broke down and bought a GM Vertronix Tech 2 with the 32 Meg GM card and Candi interface., Now I'm broke and I'll need to go to College to learn how to use it.
I took it up to my local Dealer and the Tech who is a friend of mine there checked it out and said it was exactly like theirs. He is going to help me get comfortable using it and I will let him borrow it for his moonlighting jobs. I did hook it up to our truck and it is pretty user friendly.
I noticed when I was doing the engine data that my #4 cyl balance rate was 2.6 and all the other 7 were something like .6 if I remember it correctly. Anyway the # 4 cyl is a lot higher than all of the others. Sounds like I might have an injector issue. Although I haven't read up on it. I do remember someone posted the acceptable rates in an earlier post.
I was looking for turbo boost, but haven't found it yet. It sure does a lot of stuff.
I'll let you know how it goes. I bought it because my wife has an H3 Hummer that is just out of warranty and we also have an Impala. And then there are several friends that have Duramax's, and now I'm sure I'll have a lot more friends with Duramax's "Ha Ha".

madmatt
12-07-2009, 18:44
The Tech 2 is probably the easiest scan tool to learn to use out of any available. You'll be fine with it. I often use one of my other, aftermarket units just because they're usually qiucker to start up and get where i need to go.

cowboywildbill
12-19-2009, 18:51
I'm getting the hang of it. I helped out a friend of mine that has a Used car lot diagnose an airbag light on a car the other day. Boy there ain't much it doesn't do.Thanks

Kennedy
12-23-2009, 08:04
If he can, I'd suggest having him update it annually or maybe every 6 mos.

The best way to do this is remove the card and send it with him. He can duplicate the card withing his shop T2 MUCH faster than the download direct procedure.

cowboywildbill
12-25-2009, 09:37
Thanks John , I'll do that. Merry Christmas