PDA

View Full Version : Turning radius

Edahall
11-10-2009, 16:05
I'm interested in a 2006 Duramax CC SB 4x4 and was wondering how the turning radius compares to my 82 2x4 1/2 ton Suburban. I was reading that the Duramax has a turning radius of 49.7 ft but have not been able to find any data on mid 80's Suburban or Chevy trucks. I would be much more interested in a 2006 Duramax without the crew cab but that is extremely hard to find so might have to settle on a crew cab as long as turning radius is not increased.

JohnC
11-10-2009, 16:50
Go out and do a circle in your suburban. Half the diameter is the radius. 49 feet sounds awful big to me, I'd expect more like half that. (Maybe that was the diameter?) Are you including extended cabs with crew cabs? There should be tons of extended cabs available, with better turning radius'. 4WD trucks with IFS will turn sharper than those with solid front axles.

NutNbutGMC
11-10-2009, 18:44
Takes a 40 acre field to do a loop in mine. Two point turns are common around the house or a community neighborhood.

MacDR50
11-11-2009, 11:10
My Ext Cab turning diameter is about 47 ft. I have never tried the old single point back-up turn with it nor the floor it and let the back end swing a turn. Ah those were the days of my youth. If I recollect right the old suburbans are in the 43-45 ft range. The newer ones with Quadrasteer are in the mid to upper 30's.

Just an added thought - I never pull the wheel full over while in 4wd. Had a bad experience with a Isuzu Rodeo in really deep snow which ended up with me footing a repair bill for the left locking hub.

Edahall
11-12-2009, 10:55
I tested the truck out yesterday and it did seem to turn about as sharp or maybe slightly sharper than my 82 Suburban. The biggest thing I noticed that it bucked a lot more than my shorter wheel base Suburban on a section of freeway that's made of concrete. Just the 15 extra inches of length makes a big difference.