PDA

View Full Version : Tech II for OBD1 ?

LTD1963
04-20-2005, 11:35
I have a 94 Yukon. That comes with a OBD1 computer. I have been wanting to get a scan tool for it, like the AutoEnginuity lap top tool. I was under the impression that I needed a tool exclusively for the OBD 1. I was looking thru some past posts about TDC offset and the 5521 injector pump and found a string I didnt expect. It talked about how you may need a TECH II scan tool for the 5521 pump on an OBD 1 computer. Since AutoEnginuity looks like it may be worth the money I was wondering if any tech II scan tool will work on a OBD1?

charliepeterson
04-20-2005, 18:41
Yes a Tech II will work on an OBD I truck. The only way to reset the timing on the Injection Pump is with a Bi-Directional reader like the Tech II.

Many readers are coming on the market now for all different price ranges. In my opinion the Tech II is worth it's weight in gold on GM vehicles. For about $3K. you get more info than you might know what to do with. It's a dealer item because they down load the info into it. It's also the same reader they use. You should be able to bring it back for free updates too for new model years.

The other readers will be generally one to two years behind for info and won't perform the same features. You do get what you pay for though.

LTD1963
04-21-2005, 08:05
Well that is good news that the Trch II will work on the OBD I. The bad news is the price.
I emailed AutoEnginuity to find out why there software won't work on the OBD I and they said that they would have to write new software to make it work. I guess that the TECH II is the only option if I want my own tool.

JohnC
04-21-2005, 11:11
Originally posted by LTD1963:
I guess that the TECH II is the only option if I want my own tool. Unless you can find an old Tech 1. if you do, make sure it has te software for the 94-95 Diesels

rameye
04-23-2005, 04:34
I picked up an old tech 1 on ebay for about 400 bucks...worth it's weight in gold.

Easy to use, bi-directional..etc.

Wish I had it now....read Stranded with turbo trouble.

ram