PDA

View Full Version : wont start...help

Rickstruck
11-11-2009, 13:54
my 1985 6.2 van started then stopped....whats going on ?? Ive tried repeatedly without luck. Someone mentioned the mechanical pump...dont know...need wisdom from the diesel gods.

engineeradam
11-11-2009, 15:26
need more information, did it all sudden stop, kinda with a bang. Does it turn over continuously without sputtering? give some more details,

Rickstruck
11-12-2009, 09:46
need more information, did it all sudden stop, kinda with a bang. Does it turn over continuously without sputtering? give some more details,

It started first thing in the AM...without any problem. Ran 2 seconds...then just stopped ..no snap or spark and would not restart. I tried repeatedly. ...charged the battery..... pluged in the glow plugs.tried everyday for a week. The engine turns over, without sputtering..will not even makes an effort to fire. Never had this problem before. The pump and engine is about 2 years since rebuilt. Rebuiolt pump and injectors at the time......and was running fine untill this:(

Rickstruck
11-12-2009, 09:54
ran for 2 seconds after it started stopped without a bang or snap. will turn over not crank without any smoke out the tail pipe. Charged the battery, plugged in the glow plugs, tried to start for a week....starter just turns. The engine was rebuilt in 2007...with pump and injectors. Ran great till this problem:cool:.

DmaxMaverick
11-12-2009, 09:57
Welcome aboard!

Fuel system, on the simple side. Either the fuel lift pump has failed, or you have a significant air leak on the suction side of the pump. The fuel lift pump has a weep hole near the bottom of the pod, and it will often be wet with fuel when the pump fails (depends on what part of the pump actually failed). Also check the fuel level in the tank, and make sure you aren't "just out". It happens, more often than most folks are willing to admit (including me).

The fuel injection pump will draw fuel and run the engine, albeit poorly, if the fuel system is primed (no air). An abrupt stop indicates, most often, the fuel supply was interrupted. There are more complicated possibilities, but eliminate the simple, and most common, stuff first.