PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Panel Bail Out

DuramaxWolfe50
11-13-2009, 10:35
My Duramax 6600 is an 05 and has approximately 177,000 miles on it. I am starting to expeirence the following: all my gauges will fall to "0" even my fuel gauge will show empty with the low fuel light on. Also, my tach will on show up to max 1000 rpms. I can be driving when the happens and then they all may come back up a few minutes later or not until I turn the engine off and start it again.

More Power
11-13-2009, 14:08
batteries, battery cables, grounds, corrosion inside the underhood electrical center?

Jim

EZHAULER
11-17-2009, 21:53
I have been having some small problems on my 04- oil gauge & tach, same type of situation that you have discribed, I have been told that it is a common GM problem- they have bad dash gauge clusters and the whole cluster needs to be replaced. (info from GM dealer & after market shop)

More Power
11-17-2009, 22:54
A Tech II Scan Tool (or something close to it) can read much of the dash instrument data directly through the ECM. This can be useful to determine whether a particular sender or the gauge is the problem.

Jim

crashz
11-19-2009, 11:39
Its my understanding that the 03 - 07 classic trucks have issues with the guage clusters as well. I recieved a TSB on my 04, but I was over the mileage and at the time it did not exhibit any problems. Now the speedometer is slightly jumping during its range of movement. So far its nothing more than a nusance, as it still reads fairly accurately.

If all the guages are acting up, I would suspect a connection problem. Like MP said, possibly a ground issue. I've had a few grounding issues with my truck that caused all kinds of weird problems. For example, the main cab ground is next to the front, driver side cab mount. If these grounds are not clean and functioning, the T-case control module and BCM start having issues. It started sending T-case warnings on the dash and lost power to the switch. Cleaning the connection to the frame solved that. I currently have a ground issue on the passenger side door that only shows up when its really hot and humid out. Haven't tackeld it yet.

bandicoot
12-15-2009, 14:26
I can get the gauge clusters fixed for you guys at my cost. I think it is about 250 bucks to replace all the stepper motors, which is what goes bad.

Only problem is, You will have to take them out and send them to me. :(