PDA

View Full Version : High Idle

Yukon6.2
11-19-2009, 09:13
Hi
My new to me tow truck is a 97 with 5 speed.Is there any way to get a high idle switch with stock wiring?Has anyone installed anything to get high idle?I need it for pto operation to get more pulling power for the winches.
Thanks Thomas

DmaxMaverick
11-19-2009, 09:36
Your best option is to obtain a PCM from a 3500HD, similarly equipped. It will have the PTO feature integrated and enabled. Otherwise, you'll have to reprogram your PCM. Another option would be to install a mechanical stop for the mechanical side of the APP.

DennisG01
11-19-2009, 09:46
I followed the instructions on Kennedy's site. Works great. But I have an auto... would this not work with a manual transmission? Just curious.

Yukon6.2
01-20-2010, 09:51
Hi
So i had some extra time yesterday so i thought i would spend some time on the tow truck.Had a noisy heater motor,and i had Kennedys instructions for the high idle,and a few switches.
I pulled the PCM and followed the tech instructions,they were a bit confussing as to the pin locations,but i verified my concerns by checking my donar truck which is an auto.The instructions work for a standerd or auto trans.
I installed two switches #1 on gives 1030 rpm.# 2 swich gives 1300 rpm,and both on gives 1600 rpm.:cool:
Now i am waiting for the next car or truck to hit the ditch so i can try them with a load on the PTO:D
Oh yea the heater motor is quite now.
Thanks for the lead on the mod from Kennedys site DennisG01.And Thanks to Kennedy for having a Tech section on his site,and sharing his info on the 6.5
\ Thomas

DennisG01
01-20-2010, 12:27
It's kinda neat to flick those switches, huh? :)

Yukon6.2
01-21-2010, 09:13
Yea,way more professional looking than trying to grt a stick jambed between the pedal and dash as you are trying to winch out someone stuck in a snow bank.Pick a rpm and hit the switch.It even drops the rpm when you step on clutch or brake.:cool: