PDA

View Full Version : Rear Heater Not Hot

DennisG01
11-23-2009, 13:13
The rear heater in my Burb has been not working for about a year. But, as I don't sit in the rear, I haven't been too worried about it. But, I'd like to get it going again. I read through Chilton's, but that does not seem to have the answers I'm looking for.

Here's what I know:

-- The front works fine.
-- There is no difference if I control it from the front or from the rear controls.
-- The rear blower works fine. But, is this odd?: The air coming out of the rear vents is a little bit stronger when the temperature dial (front controls or rear) is set on cold as compared to hot.

Here's what I've done:

-- Flushed the rear core from the engine bay. I flushed "backwards", meaning I attached a garden hose to the return line that goes to the radiator (top, starboard side). I extended the hose that normally comes from the T-stat housing into a bucket.

At first, I could tell there was some resistance and about a tablespoon or so of crap came out. After a minute or two, the water was running out of that extended discharge hose as fast and clear as it was coming in.

-- I also flushed the front core while I was at it. That one was pretty much clear right away.

I am assuming the problem lies somewhere back in the right rear quarter panel trim. Maybe some type of "diverter" or something? But, then again, the air flow does change in intensity when I move the temperature dial from cold to hot.

But, I'd like to hear from you guys if I'm on the right track, how I should proceed and what specifically am I looking for?

Also, it looks like I have to take a bunch of extra trim pieces off to get that interior quarter panel piece off. Is that right? Any tips?

Could it be as easy a fuse? I can't find any that is specific to this problem, nor do I see any that are blown (unless I missed something). The only fuse that I have permanently removed is the one that controls the DRL's.