PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Belt Problem

vic3373
11-24-2009, 10:09
I have a 1998 Chevrolet k3500 4wd 6.5 turbo work truck. I recently replaced my serpentine belt and now it is making a terrible noise and does not turn. I need a diagram so that I can visually see if there may be something I've done wrong. Does anyone have one that I could look at? Thanks

Robyn
11-24-2009, 10:51
There should be a diagram sticker on the radiator shroud or right close there up top.

Let us know

Missy

vic3373
11-24-2009, 11:36
No, I've looked and there is nothing. I don't have the owners manual either. I bought it used and the previous owner said he'd lost the manual.

JohnC
11-24-2009, 12:16
If you have to route it with no diagram, remember these points:

If the pulley is smooth the outside of the belt contacts it. If it is grooved the inside of the belt contacts it.

Given the choice of the belt going less than half way around the pulley vs. going more than half way around, choose the second path.

Turn the tensioner all the way against the spring and put the belt on the side so the tensioner spring pushes the tensioner against the belt. (yeah, I know, but I wanted to cover all the bases.)

DennisG01
11-24-2009, 12:19
See if this will help. I just typed "GM 6.5 diesel serpentine belt routing" into Google. This was the first one I clicked on. I'm sure you can find others.

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3251846-need_diagram_routing_serpentine_belt

If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll snap a picture of the routing diagram on my shroud.