PDA

View Full Version : I.P. timing DS4 question

Reddog
11-24-2009, 21:39
I'm in the middle of a rebuild .This was a non running motor when I got it. During tear down I went to mark the i.p. on the front cover and found some existing marks but they weren't lined up.

I found some pretty flaky thing(during tear down) and think the existing marks should be lined up upon reassembly.With the i.p. in the place I found it it was rotated all the way to the drivers side . With the existing marks lined up it's rotated all the way to the pass. side.

Any thoughts on this ? Is rotation one way or the other more likely?

Thanks , Jeff

john8662
11-25-2009, 09:35
DS4 electronic pumps don't use any timing line for a reference. The lines you're seeing were scribed by a service techinician attempting to time a pump. These marks are of no accurate value in retiming the engine, especially the with the high likelyhood that the pump's been swapped with another during that process.

With the DS4's I just install the pump on the front housing and center the studs in the sluts on the flange of the pump. Lock it down with the nuts, then grab the scan tool and see where it lies. It's usually close enough to run and not set a code, but a Timing learn is then necessary anyways.

J

Railroad Ron
12-01-2009, 21:08
When I bought my current truck, it had a new IP installed but I'm not sure about the timing. You mention a scan tool- what kind do I need and where could I get one?

JohnC
12-03-2009, 18:31
what kind do I need and where could I get one?

This one is a good value... (http://www.enghmotors.com/)