PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Bought a 6.2L and have oil plug problems!

burchbosun
11-25-2009, 16:19
the guy (idiot ) who had my 6.2l truck impacted the drain plug on now it spins like heck and doesnt remove and im afraid if i get it to come out it wont go back in and ill have to put on a new pan ??? its a 1989 gmc sierra 1500 slx

DmaxMaverick
11-25-2009, 18:38
Welcome aboard!

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. Don't despair, just yet. I've seen dozens of stripped plugs, and most of the time, it strips the plug at the couple threads closest to the flange. If you get it out, you may not be in such bad shape, and can just replace the plug. If you can't get a replacement, use double nylon washers to engage the remaining threads until you can replace (as soon as possible). If the pan threads are stripped, the plug usually comes out too easy with nothing holding it in. Still, not the end of the world. An oversize plug with a tap can get you going again in no time (AKA: drain plug repair kit). A stream of low pressure air into the dipstick tube keeps the metal shavings out of the pan while tapping. Most automotive shops can handle this, if you can't.

In any case, you have to remove the plug. Usually, you can get vice-grips on the plug, and pull while you turn. Try not to cross-thread and it should come out fine. A pan replacement is always the last option, and usually only after someone screws it up trying to fix the plug hole. Ultimately, you can remove the pan and have a new bung welded into it (not too bad of a job, and a good time to replace that leaky rear main seal).