PDA

View Full Version : injection pump run solenoid

93hummer
11-26-2009, 00:43
Mine is shorted to ground!!! Can I find this at Napa?

Syptoms:

Hard starting, poor idle, and no power feels like it is starving for fuel, top speed of 45 MPH on the highway and it takes a long time to get there. Got it home and checked for 12VDC at the injection pump and when I pulled th ewire off I got a decent spark...hmmm shouldn't be that much amperage draw.... I shut it off and disconnected the pink wire and sure enough the run solenoid is shorted to the injection pump housing...

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2009, 02:16
The solenoid is supposed to short to ground (that's what makes the solenoid work, like a light bulb). Your problem sounds like a supply issue. Lift pump, filter, pinched/plugged line, etc.

NH2112
11-26-2009, 05:26
They do make a decent spark, but that's normal. And I've never seen a solenoid that worked halfway, they're either 100% good or 100% bad. Check the stuff DMaxMaverick mentioned, and for a potential bit of bad news my old K10 exhibited similar symptoms right before the injector pump died. It went from running like a champ to not running at all inside 125 miles, and acceleration was nonexistent.

Robyn
11-26-2009, 08:48
First stop FUEL FILTERVILLE

Replace them then if not all fine, check lift pump and make sure you are not getting air.
(install a clear hose on the return line at the top of the IP and watch what comes through)

If these do not remedy the issue then the IP may have given up the ghost.

Keep us posted

Missy