PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 pump question?

tank140
11-26-2009, 01:35
Hi guys

I have a 6.5 engine? in my landrover I recently put a turbo on it and the performance is great.

The only thin that is confusing me now is the injector pump i had a look at the numbers on the pump the other day and they are:

DB 2829 4267 J

5364359 14077179

From reading info about the pumps this one seams to be a 6.2 IP
or a 6.5 NA detuned IP

the engine is running great with a (new) GM8 turbo on her, the compresion test is 395 PSI on all 8 cylinders, oil presure is about 50 psi running and 35 in tick-over, as it should be because it is a fully re built (new) engine with a 599 block new IP, New injectors, lines heads, crank, pistons etc.

does this sound normal for a 6.5 engine or as something gone amiss somewhere?.

as i would have expected a bigger IP on the engine,
does anyone have a comprensive list of IP's to engine applications?
also what is the best way of telling the differance between a 6.5 and 6.2 without doing a tear down and measuring the cylinder bores?

cheers
tank

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-26-2009, 11:34
engine sounds good. above 380psi is what you want, and if it is even all across, great.

that is a 6.2 pump as far as i know. was the 6.5 non turbo before? was the IP swapped in by somebody else? that pump should be a DB2 4911 series. you can still turn the fuel up on the IP though, if you feel you are lacking power.

DaveBr
11-26-2009, 11:37
The DB series pump is a mechanical pump and you can turn the pump up without removing or replacing it. However you will need EGT & boost guages so you don't fry your engine from all the extra heat caused from all the extra fuel.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-26-2009, 16:00
unless he is pulling a lot though, while it would be a good idea, i don't think boost and pyro are needed for an suv. i know unloaded, the truck never went near the meltzone. if you can afford them, gauges would be a good idea. if not, even a little tweak of the pump will help

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-26-2009, 16:01
just read over his sig, it's a rearmount turbo, so there will be plenty of cooling going on. all the tubing from the engine to turbo and back should act as a sort of cooler

Robyn
11-26-2009, 17:32
The 4267 pump is from a 84-85 J code engine. (Heavy duty)

If its working good, I would leave it alone.

Does it put out any black smoke on hard acceleration ??

If you can't get any smoke the pump could be turned up a little bit.

Still if its running good I would leave it alone.

Best

Robyn

tank140
11-27-2009, 00:45
Hi all

thanks for all the replies, yes she does put out some black smoke under load when i fitted the turbo i cranked up the pump and that made a great responce diferance.

I was just checing over the engine the other day and it got me wondering about the pump as it read as a 6.2 HD pump or 6.5 NA, but having said that it does seam to be ok, when i got the engine, the guy i got it off had the IP changed from an electronic one to the mechanical DB2829 buy the engine supplier.

What about the other question how to check if the engine is a 6.2 or 6.5 without a rip down?

cheers
tank

here is a pick of the set-up

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/tank110/Photo074.jpg

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-27-2009, 12:03
lol, now i put my foot in my mouth. i figured by rear mount turbo, you meant over the rear axle.

if you can see your casting number, that will help out.

DaveBr
11-27-2009, 22:32
If it was mine I would be looking for a new place for my air intake. Looks like you'll be sucking a lot of hot air. Colder is better.