PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 stalls after startup...

SIG220
11-26-2009, 17:38
I just bought a 1995 Chevy Tahoe with the 6.5TD. It has about 200k miles on it. Currently the truck starts and idles for about 45 seconds and then stalls. The truck starts back up again and stalls after about the same amount of time. Other wise the truck is in great shape aside from the clear coat. Im picking it up tomorrow to try and figure it out. Any ideas? Thanks!

SIG220
11-27-2009, 22:30
Picked the truck up today. Was gonna start figuring out what is wrong but didnt have enough time and the batteries needed to be charged anyhow. The only mods to the truck have been a turbo master and ss diesel supply pmd relocation kit . The truck came with a spare IP. Im gonna first try to swap pmds to see if thats the issue.

SIG220
11-28-2009, 23:00
Replaced both batteries today. Truck turns over and sounds like it wants to start but doesnt. I noticed diesel pouring out from underneath the truck near the starter. Found out it was the fuel filter housing that is leaking. Once I get that fixed Im hoping it will start up at least for a little while:rolleyes:

Robyn
11-30-2009, 07:13
Hi

These filters have a habit of rotting out the bottom of the filter housing.

Your issue could be as simple as one of the hoses having sprung a leak or it could be the fuel heater that leaking.

Normally when the heater leaks it will still run but will leak.

A large enough leak will allow air to get into the system and result in the stalling issues.

I personally would toss the factory filter unit and install a Racor filter unit.

The Racor 230R2 is a perfect size and can be mounted up front between the alternator and the ABS unit on a little bracket.

Simply connect to the original fuel hose that fed the filter and run an extension over around behind the brake booster and to your new filter.
Connect a line from the new filter to the IP and your set.

There are certainly other options but this one is a great improvement.

Good luck
Keep us posted

Robyn

SIG220
12-01-2009, 19:25
I replaced the seals in the filter housing today but didnt get a chance to prime the system and see if it stopped the leak. It didnt appear as though the housing itself is destroyed. I will definitely consider remote mounting it with the racor. Thanks! I am really hoping that the stalling issue is because of this and not soemthing much more expensive.

Edit: Could you suggest a good place to get one of the Racors? Is there anything else I will need to get (aside from longer lines)? I see some places selling it for a little over $100 Is that just the replacement filter or the entire unit? Thanks for the help!

SIG220
12-01-2009, 20:25
Robyn - I read your other posts about the Racor (I just ordered one:)). Did you completely replace the soft fuel line coming from the lift pump to the stock filter housing? Thanks!