PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Fusible Links R&R - Any Tricks?

joed
12-01-2009, 07:34
I have a newly acquired 96 6.5 with no glow.

The relay works fine and puts out power as it should, the dash light comes on, but no juice gets to the gp's - so I'm thinking the short fusible links from the gp relay are bad.

They appear to be 'molded' to the heaver gauge wires that go out to the cyl. banks.

Does this plastic mold come apart or would I just cut the heavier wire after the plastic mold and splice in the new fusible links?

Thanks in advance. Joe.

DmaxMaverick
12-01-2009, 10:05
Replacement links need to be spliced in (crimped and/or soldered). Once cooked, there's nothing you can do with the old links. You can also use Maxi-Fuse replacements, although they are much more expensive and necessarily better in any way.

joed
12-01-2009, 12:27
Makes sense. Any opinion on using off the shelf links or should I use GMs?

Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
12-01-2009, 12:40
Unless there is questionable quality, I don't see GM's being better than any other. Stick with a quality brand/supplier, and it should be fine. A fusible link is a dumb device. They only have to work. Simple is better.

Quazzy
12-03-2009, 11:01
Now, I know it's not exactly the correct thing to do, but I like my idea better than the stock version...haha.. I ended up having a plug relay that basically disintegrated, and some bad wired as well.. I was not interested in spending the money on all new stuff. I ran all new nice heavy wires to my plugs, put one big fuse in line, and stuck a good heavy duty push button switch in one of my pop out dash panels. It works fantastic! I don't hafta worry about one or two fusible links not working, or any other small parts of the system. This is all hooked together, so if one thing goes bad, it just doesn't work. Simple to find any problem that might happen to it... Just figured I'd throw in my 2 cents..haha!! Marty:D

NH2112
12-08-2009, 06:29
Well it works the same as the OEM setup and you know where to look if something goes wrong, that's all that's important.