PDA

View Full Version : Changed fuel filter

farmerson
12-01-2009, 18:55
Hi i changed the fuel filter on my 1999 1 ton truck. I did everything i was told to do but now it wont restart. I thought that it was just low battery and it being so darn cold out and i only have 4 glow plugs that dont have the terminal busted but i'v tried everything i can think of. Thanks in advance for any help.

rustyk
12-01-2009, 20:57
Hi i changed the fuel filter on my 1999 1 ton truck. I did everything i was told to do but now it wont restart. I thought that it was just low battery and it being so darn cold out and i only have 4 glow plugs that dont have the terminal busted but i'v tried everything i can think of. Thanks in advance for any help.

Air in the filter housing. You need to prime the filter by running the lift pump with the purge valve open. I can't help with how to run the pump, because I hav a diesel pusher, and put in a pushbutton to run the ppump. Someone here will tell you how to short terminals to run the pump.

DennisG01
12-02-2009, 06:22
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=30864&highlight=prime Be sure to read all the way through to the last post.

Did it run before you changed the filter? I don't know where you are located, but 4 plugs not connected (and how many not working???) is quite a lot.

farmerson
12-02-2009, 07:15
Im in urbana ohio. But yes it ran before i pulled it in the barn. I talked to a buddy that works on 6.5's all the time and he said you should be able to hear the lift pump running?. If thats the case something isn't working becasue i dont hear anything when i turn the key. Should i try taking the filter out and putting some fuel in the base?

Robyn
12-02-2009, 07:39
With the park brake set. Place the trans selector in D and then turn the key to the start position. This should get the lift pump to run.

Open the bleed screw and allow the air to purge out.

Once the air is out shut the vent on the filter. Now remove the fuel inlet line from the top of the IP and again run the lift pump (same way) purge the air out and then reconnect the fuel line.

Glow and the truck should start up with a little cranking.

Keep us posted

Missy

DennisG01
12-02-2009, 08:23
Farmer,

Take a look at this thread instead of the one I linked above - this new link is for '97+ trucks. I missed the part where you mentioned it was a '99.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=2212&highlight=PRIME+FUEL+RED

PS: Please fill out your signature.

farmerson
12-02-2009, 13:23
Ok ill try that. Thanks for all the help.

farmerson
12-04-2009, 13:46
Ok update. The truck still wont start iv tried everything. I can take the filter out and fill the base with fuel then short out the lift pump for a little bit and it will crank and crank. trying to start but it just wont. The last time I did this process it started for maybe 3 seconds and died. Now the filter base is empty again. Am i looking at a bad fuel pump? I can hear the lift pump is running but i cant hear the fuel pump (never could hear the fuel pump). Thanks for any help.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-04-2009, 16:22
the only thing you should hear running with the shifter in position and ignition on is the lift pump. the injection pump is run off the engine, and won't turn over just under battery power. im wondering if you have blockage somewhere in your lines. if you are filling the bowl with fuel, and hotwiring the LP, it should be filling.

did you try to purge the bowl? crack the little valve on top with the lift pump running?

once the truck is running, the injection pump can pull enough fuel on it's own to run if need be. not saying to do that, just that even if the LP wasn't working, with filling the bowl up, you should be able to get it running.

let us know how it goes

farmerson
12-04-2009, 18:16
I have tried to purged the bowl 3 times but nothing comes out. its like the lift pump is running but not sending any fuel.

Robyn
12-04-2009, 18:40
if no fuel comes out the bleed port ON THE FILTER wuth the lift pump running then the pump is not working.

You have to get fuel coming out the bleed hole on the filter before anything is gonna work.

When the lift pump is working right it should fill the filter up in a few seconds.

Dont spend any time cranking until you get fuel to the filter.

If the pump runs but no fuel comes out it means the lift pump is bad.

Once you get fuel to the filter, remove the fuel line at the OP and purge the remaining air from the system using the lift pump.

Now with everything all hooked back up run the lift pump by iteself for 15-20 seconds to finish filling the IP.

Glow it and it should start fairly soon.

Keep us posted.

Robyn

mastertech
12-04-2009, 21:51
check for pinched line or remove the line from the pump and see if any thing comes out. if the pump is pumping then you might have a restriction or the pump is to week. try pressurizing the tank and see if any fuel comes out

farmerson
12-25-2009, 06:27
Ok got it solved, the lift pump was bad. Changed it and it starts and runs better than ever!! I could not believe it, now only a year before i can drive it. i will turn 15 in 3 days so im happy.