PDA

View Full Version : Priming fuel system for '95 6.5td question

SIG220
12-01-2009, 23:06
I see that turning the key to the on position and putting the truck in drive will cause the lift pump to run allowing you to bleed the system on 1995 6.5's. Does it hurt the lift pump at all to run for a few seconds after closing the filter housing valve? I can only be in one place at one time...:)

DmaxMaverick
12-01-2009, 23:40
No, it won't damage it. The pump is not a constant displacement type. The pump should stop running as soon as you release the key, anyway.

Artworks
12-04-2009, 06:14
I have Kennedy pump relay. works great as you can press 'switch' under the hood to run pump to bleed system. Less time and mess when you do a filter change.

Robyn
12-04-2009, 07:02
No issues at all.

I usually get a helper to run the key while I manage the bleeding portion of the task.

Doing the bleed with a stock filter assembly is a messy proposition at best.

I have tried placing a little hose on the bleed fitting of the filter but the fuel seems to leak out around the screw assembly anyway.

Cram so rags or an old towel around the thing and go for it.

Bleed, then close the screw and run the pump a little more.

The Lift pump on the earlier trucks would run after the engine was shut off when cold until the oil pressure dropped back to near zero.

In cold weather this can take a minute or more.

These systems were designed to allow the lift pump to whir away happily even if no fuel is moving anywhere.

Best

Missy

SIG220
12-05-2009, 13:47
thanks for the replies and reassurance. I primed the system but still had some minor leaking from the stock filter housing. I got a Racor 230r and some new lines and will be installing that soon. Thanks again!

JohnC
12-05-2009, 14:13
Actually, if the pump is truly deadheaded it will stop pumping. However, the bypass valve in the injection pump will always allow some flow, so it is never completely stopped.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-05-2009, 17:56
like Robyn said, no harm done to leave it running. my one truck has the LP hotwired, and one of my employees left it on over the weekend. that was a year ago and no issues. ;)