PDA

View Full Version : 01 silverado with a 6.0

hapaschold
12-02-2009, 17:21
our work truck, 01 silverado with a 6.0 gasser..........

throwing all kinds of misfire codes, 0 2 sensors cooked, did them, better, but still misfires......

replaced all injectors, dropped fuel tank, purged lines, fanother new fuel filter and yet finding some crud coming out of the fuel rails.....

can those plastic fuel rails flake off tiny very thin pieces of plastic ? ?

and where can i get new fuel rails....dealer is 300 each side :eek::eek:

DmaxMaverick
12-02-2009, 20:15
You probably got a dose of E85 or high ethanol/methanol content fuel. Non E85 compatible engines have issues with the plastics and hoses breaking down when exposed to high alcohol content. Not really much you can do to correct it, other than replace all the seals, hoses, rails, and the intake gaskets, in many cases.....If that's what happened. CA has seen many of these issues with the fuel suppliers mixing up the stuff without notice. We are already at high restrictions, so a half storage tank of high-ethanol or E-85 has caused some real issues. Your Cat is probably toast, as well, if the O2 sensor failed.

hapaschold
12-03-2009, 04:56
i wonder how the fuel tank will hold up........being thats plastic also.

the cats so far are testing ok.....

when were the trucks make to handle the e85 blends ?

ours is a 01......

DmaxMaverick
12-03-2009, 08:26
I don't know. It's been a few years since they began qualifying them for E85, 2005-6, maybe. Still, even those didn't include all models, or they had to be optioned for E85. Good question about the tank. It may be a factor, or not. I'm sure the materials used are different for the tank and other components. I've never heard of a tank failure due to the fuel type, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. For years now (30+), GM has qualified fuels for all vehicles as OK up to 10% ethanol.

Problems such as yours are difficult to solve without some indication of a specific event. Don't rule out the possibility of vandalism, either. Perhaps someone put something in the tank.

christophersond
12-03-2009, 12:52
i wonder how the fuel tank will hold up........being thats plastic also.

the cats so far are testing ok.....

when were the trucks make to handle the e85 blends ?

ours is a 01......

I'm not sure about the 6.0, but I know the 2000 model year S-10 and Sonoma trucks were good to go for E85 fuel, if equipped with the 4 cylinder engine--the V6 required regular unleaded. The owner's manual should tell you if the truck can handle E85 blends.

hapaschold
12-03-2009, 15:30
trucks done, 2 new fuel rails ... shop called runs perfect ... least for now.....

vandals did come to mind......locking gas cap is going on......just in case...

cant wait to see the bill