PDA

View Full Version : Kiss of Death for Snow White

SadderButWiser6.5
12-03-2009, 18:28
It was love at first sight when I bought "Snow White" 6 years ago. I had never owned a diesel before, but was all excited about tales I'd been hearing for years, of diesel 20+ mpg, extreme pulling power and low maintainence. Of course diesel fuel was cheaper than gas too, way back then. Immediately I got a 13' Lance camper and I was indeed a happy camper... for a while. Then on narrow mountain roads with few and far between turn-outs, she began stalling out. To make a long story short, I limped home, joined TDP and thanks to great help from other members, I was back on the road with a remote FSD on a homemade cooler. I bought a spare FSD and carried it in the glove box for 6 years until about a month ago when... oops GM did it again. I changed out the FSD in the grocery store parking lot and was back home in 20 minutes. Next day I was online to buy another glove box spare from the same outfit I'd bought the last two FSD's 6 years ago, only to discover they didn't carry the same part, and the one they sold now would require removing the intake manifold to replace the connecting wires. That was the last straw. Romance kaput.

"Snow White" is going back to the auction block on ebay where we first met. I've only put about 23,000 miles on her in 6 years, almost all freeway between Northern California and Phoenix, but she needs some fixin' before most people would consider buying my darling Snow White.

Namely, the first morning start (cold weather or hot weather) needs a long steady crank (15 seconds or more continuous cranking, off and on cranking won't start her at all) and when she finally does start she sets out a cloud of "white" smoke likely to blot out the sun. The cloud lingers in an ever increasing radius as long as she sits there idling. (At least since I'm burning biodiesel it smells like french fries.) If I drive a few blocks the smoking gets to a reasonable level and she'll start with reasonable ease.

My problem is I'm too honest to warm her up before the test drive without spilling my guts about the first morning start problem. And even if I wasn't that honest, the buyer would probably come back and kill me the next day. So please if you can, save a life. My marriage to Snow White is over and can't be mended, but if her early morning PMS can be cured, she's still a fine looking truck, and she may make some lucky dude or dude-ette a sweet sweet ride.

Many thanks in advance. :D

JohnC
12-03-2009, 18:43
Get rid of the bio Diesel and fill it up with premium dino Diesel

SadderButWiser6.5
12-03-2009, 19:09
This is my first tank of biodiesel and it actually starts easier and runs quieter than on dino. Smokes the same amount but the bio smoke smells better (if you like french fries). Any serious nuts-and-bolts help out there? Anybody? Even if you only know a good honest diesel mechanic in Phoenix I could take her to for diagnostics ???

JohnC
12-03-2009, 19:20
I was serious. Cold biodiesel is harder to light than dino fuel. You on the other hand don't seem to serious if simply not finding the same part at the same store 6 years later is enough to ditch the vehicle.

Try testing the glow plugs.

More Power
12-03-2009, 20:39
The aftermarket PMD called the D-Tech has been available to the public for about 4 years now, and I've yet to hear of a failure. This one wasn't available 6 years ago when you purchased your first module. I recommend the D-Tech. http://www.dtechproducts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7671/.f

The D-Tech can be mounted to any existing PMD cooler plate (or the DS4 pump itself) and use any pre-existing extension harness.

Also, Stanadyne has finally stepped up to the plate, and re-designed their factory module earlier this year, saying it's all better and such.... Might be, but it's too soon to recommend it. They should have done this 15 years ago..... The new Stanadyne module uses a different electrical connector, so an earlier harness won't fit without mods.

Jim

SadderButWiser6.5
12-05-2009, 10:39
Thanks for good advice !!! Biodiesel, I later discovered, does have a "cloud point" temperature below which the motor might not start. Supposedly adding 5 or 10 gallons of dino to a tank fixes that. I haven't needed to try that yet cuz it hasn't been that cold in Phoenix yet.

I'm ashamed to admit I've been putting up with the morning smokes and hard starts for years (yes even when the first morning start temp is triple digits). The problem was just as bad on pure dino. Where I live the neighbors don't complain, and smoking virtually stops in 3 minutes of driving.

The DTech PMD might have been the answer if I had only known such a thing was available before I bought another truck. Since my newly purchased 2002 GMC Duramax gets better mileage, has more power, is 6 years newer, has air bags, etc., and since I can't afford to keep 2 trucks, I'm gonna sell Snow White once I cure the morning smokin' hard starts.

For a test yesterday, I checked the crank time to morning start. It was 9 seconds but seemed like a lot more. Then I let her sit and idle, watchin' the exhaust pour out smoke. After about 3 minutes the Idle seemed to suddenly smooth out, I might have heard a click like a solenoid or something at that exact moment, and the smoke out the tail pipe suddenly was reduced by 90%. Does this sound like glow plugs or something else? I'll test the glow plugs this weekend.

Thanks again fellers.

DmaxMaverick
12-05-2009, 12:40
Possibilities, check in this order:

Fuel filter and fuel pump operation. Make sure the filter is fresh, and the pump is supplying fuel when it should.

Glow plugs. Check power to each, and the condition of each.

Fuel system air leak. Excessive air in the system at a cold start can cause the conditions you describe.

Injectors. If original with 125K, and especially with extensive bio/WVO use, they are most likely due for refreshing, regardless of any other issues.

Timing. Verify it is optimal. Stock timing, with all else healthy, shouldn't smoke much at all. If it's been modified, or you have an aftermarket PCM program, it could be off. The sudden change in sound and smoke after a cold start is the cold start timing adjustment. You'll need a Tech II or compatible interface to mess with this.

Compression. Rarely an issue, but low compression will hinder starting, and cause a lot of smoke until up to temp and the timing normalizes.

kaylabryn
12-06-2009, 08:26
There is an advance solenoid in the pump that is supposed to advance when cold. They can get sticky and then when they switch everything is smooth. The diesel sound should get much more crisp when this happens, some might say it will all of a sudden sound like rocks in the engine. Had this problem on my burb once when trying to start at -10deg in Colorado. Once it switched ran great. Yours might be starting better on bio due to its lubricity, the solenoid ( ie the piston) might be clicking over quicker with the bio.

NH2112
12-08-2009, 06:26
The 3 minute time period sounds suspiciously like an issue with the temp switch that, on a DB2 model, would energize the fast idle and HPCA solenoids. Being a DS4 I'm sure it all goes through the computer, but could the temp switch still be at fault? White smoke DOES indicate retarded timing, after all.

Quazzy
12-08-2009, 11:09
Not sure if the '96 is the same, I think it is... My 95 took anywhere fom 10-30 seconds of cranking to fire up, and when it did, it smoked like you're describing.. It was nasty. I changed out my crank sensor and it immediately fixed the problem.. It just wasn't sending signal.. Never know, but that may help.. Got the sensor at the parts store for 32 bucks..

Robyn
12-08-2009, 13:21
My first test would be the glow plugs to make sure they are all getting hot and then screw in a fresh set of injectors.

Couple a few bad glow plugs and a set of high mile injectors and this makes for exactly what you are seeing.

Missy

GMC Hauler
12-17-2009, 14:36
Sounds exactly like a glow plug. Smokes, and then suddenly picks up, may drop in and out a few times, but ends up running normally. I had a glow plug burn out and that was the symptoms. Is it worse in colder weather?

The noise you may hear may be the cylinder picking up, and a change in engine tone as that cylinder starts to fire.

Don't get rid of her. Once you figure out that it was a glow plug (probably), you'll be mad at yourself because you let some $10 dollar part beat you.

There is no temp switch on the 96 like the guys are describing for the DB2 (1995 and earlier).

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-17-2009, 18:36
There is no temp switch on the 96 like the guys are describing for the DB2 (1995 and earlier).

^ 1993 and earlier. DS4 introduced in 1994. And I agree with GMC Hauler. If you sell it, and the N/O tells you that he fixed it easily and cheaply, you will be kicking yourself.