PDA

View Full Version : Engin swap

Yukon6.2
12-04-2009, 09:21
Hi
My almost new to me tow truck decided the other day that i should change it's motor:mad::mad:,it developed a combustion leak into the cooling system on the drivers side. I'm going to do a quick and dirty swap with a doner truck.Both are the same year 97 but the doner has egr crap on it.
My questions are is the egr stuff just in the top hat of intake?
Will i be able to leave the doners injection pump where it is or will i have to re time it?
I might change the timing chain if it is loose and i can find one in time.
Also is there a way to tell if a water pump is high output other than the raised HO cast into it.I called all parts houses in the town close to us and none of the pumps they had had the raised letters,but all had different part numbers from the earlyer 6.5 pumps.
The last thing i need right now was to spend however many days this is going to take me:mad:,my list of things that need to get done was overwelming and this extends it even more.But at least i have a running replacement which should cut down the cost a bit,and the time a bit to.
On the brite side changing the motor mounts should be a little easyer with the motor hanging on a chain;).
So if anyone has words of wisdom for me great,i'll be tackling this over the weekend.
I just got my remote FSD installed and the stalling problem fixed,don't know what caused the leak,once you get the airlock bled from sitting it seems to work like it's supposed to dosn't overheat or blow coolent so it's just begining to leak.Someday i'll pull the head and see what caused it.
Thanks in advace for all and any info
Thomas

JohnC
12-04-2009, 09:32
Change the whole intake manifold to get rid of the EGR.

No changes to the IP, but it probably makes sense to check the timing after you get it in.

Yukon6.2
12-05-2009, 09:40
Hi
Got the doner sitting on the floor last night.Fairly clean for 285Kms on it.The original motor in the tow truck came with dual stats,and the doner has single but with the hose following the same exit line as the dual stats.Both water pumps have the large fitting that goes to the crossover,short hose 6".I did get a water pump from Napa that was listed for the 98 it also has the large fitting.None of the three pumps have HO cast in them.Does anyone know of a way to tell if any of these are High Output?
Thanks Thomas

hatzie55
12-05-2009, 10:53
Hi
Got the doner sitting on the floor last night.Fairly clean for 285Kms on it.The original motor in the tow truck came with dual stats,and the doner has single but with the hose following the same exit line as the dual stats.Both water pumps have the large fitting that goes to the crossover,short hose 6".I did get a water pump from Napa that was listed for the 98 it also has the large fitting.None of the three pumps have HO cast in them.Does anyone know of a way to tell if any of these are High Output?
Thanks Thomas

The water pump on the '98 dual stat engine should be high output if it's original.

Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to give away more tells. If they look the same externally the HO may have a different impeller with different case to impeller clearance...

Yukon6.2
12-06-2009, 09:46
Update
Both motor sitting side by side,have striped off the clutch flywheel dual crossover,intake and motor mounts.Have new front and rear crankshaft seals,new pilot bushing.Couldn't get any new rad hoses.The 4x4 motor mounts have an addtional spacer between them and the block,prior bodystyle trucks have these as well,watched one of my mechanics trying to fit a motor in without these once,didn't work of course he still got paid to mess around.
Got the new energy suspenssion motor mounts installed,doing those with the motor in would be a real PITA,almost makes it worthwhile having to pull the motor.
Today i'll be cleaning the motor compartment fixing some wires,rerouting the fuel lines and with any luck have the motor sitting back in the mounts.Hopefully have the truck back in operation by Mon evening.
Without this site i would never have bought this truck,but problems are easy to overcome with the knowledge here.I had just cured the stalling caused by the PMD,when the coolent preasure reared its ugly head.I have striped the good PMD from the doner while the intake is off,now have the spare to carry.I'm hoping the coolent preasure is caused by a head gasket when i get time to pull the motor apart,then i'll still have a spare motor.
I'm glad it's a 6.5,swaping a duramax would be quite a chore.

Yukon6.2
10-29-2016, 10:08
Old thread update

Was going out on a tow,about 20miles from home hear a bad sound,really bad. Glance at the gauges,OK turn down the radio step on clutch noise stopped but so did the engine.
Coast to the shoulder and stop.Do the obligatory check of fluids still good like they were 20 miles ago.No sign of anything leaking.
Try to restart but turns over very slow.I was just in cell range so i phone for a rescue to my brother.Next day i load it up on my rollback and take it home,first i pulled the glow plugs they all looked fine.Hoist it up and start moving the crank by the front pully, moves easy enough.Move to the back and move with the flywheel,hmm the front doesn't move with the back, BUSTED. Aww crap there goes a week of my time again.If i decide to swap motors again,i may just swap trucks if i can find a 4x4 cab and chassis
Looks like it broke near the back of the crank the flywheel flops around easy.
So now i know what it sounds like when the crank breaks.
So there isn't any antifreeze in the oil maybe the block is OK, but I'm more inclined to say that it was the death of another 6.5.
Worst part is my wife is gone for 2 weeks,her brother died rather quickly from his second bout with cancer.So i don't want tell her till she comes home.She is my partner in our business so until we discuss our options it will sit up on the hoist.
Right now i see the options...
1 pull a 6.5 out of a Sub that was abandoned,runs but have no history
2 rebuild the original motor from the truck,was pressuring up the rad,from the drivers bank
3 find a new to us truck to but the wrecker deck on
4 find a different wrecker that is turn key
Compounding this decision is the fact that i want out of our business,i have had it up to my nostrils with the Government.They keep regulating small business to death,and i want as little to do with Government as possible.There is little to no chance of ever selling our business around here Government is regulating everyone to death,and have killed any economy that was around.
A bit of a long rant sorry,but i'm sure that any small business in rural Yukon will give you the same story

trbankii
10-29-2016, 13:32
I feel your pain on the small business stuff. I’m there too. People keep wanting it cheaper and cheaper while all my costs keep going up - business insurance, health insurance, taxes, licensing fees, utilities, and everything else. Funny how people want someone flipping a hamburger to make $15 an hour but I’m supposed to be making pennies an hour so that they can have everything as cheap as possible…

Hard to say on the truck. The abandoned Sub sounds like an option depending on what it sounds like when it is running. At the very least, maybe it would buy you some time to rebuild either the first or current engine?

a5150nut
10-29-2016, 16:17
Had a 396 in a 66 Chevelle SS do the same thing. I thought it was just the clutch so I beat it a little getting it home. Turn out it just scrapped a little babbit of the rear main. Got a new crank and built it back 427 screamer.

Good luck with what you decide.

Robyn
10-29-2016, 19:31
Sorry for your loss :(

It never happens at a convenient time

And NEVER IS ALWAYS A GOOD TIME EH ;)

trbankii
10-30-2016, 05:29
It never happens at a convenient time

That’s always the case - sort of like plumbing problems always happen Sunday evening after all the hardware stores close...

Robyn
10-30-2016, 07:57
Been there done that.

I try to keep enough stuff handy to at least patch a plumbing issue until a store is open.

Yukon6.2
11-20-2016, 10:08
Update
Opened up the original engine and found 4 web cracks that were visible to the eye.That dampened any enthusiasm i had for changing head gaskets and swapping engines.
Have been looking for a 12 valve dodge 3500 4x4,i need a truck with 84" from back of cab to center of rear axle.So that means a cab and chassis truck from factory,or take a pickup and lengthen the frame.
So i continue to search.Haven't had any calls for the tow truck so you can see it will take a while to pay off whichever option i take.