PDA

View Full Version : How to identify a blow by?

panchosteam
12-04-2009, 16:20
Hi guys, back in Jan my 84 gmc w 6.5td had a problem coming from ca to las vegas, the fuel tanks collapsed, and stalled on the 15 after baker, then a tow
truck driver sprayed poison(engine starting fluid) in to the turbo to get it started,it did had a hard time starting and when it did i didn't like the sound of the engine, then got home and let truck sit for about 8 or so months, now that i'm trying to get my truck back on the road i can see smoke coming out from oil dipstick tube and filler pipe... Does this indicate that there is an engine problem? no smoke from the tail pipe and appears to sound ok it is the smoke that is making me worried... any ideas what could be the problem? Thank you.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-04-2009, 16:24
you might want to move this to the right forum where more people will see it. ;)

DmaxMaverick
12-04-2009, 16:25
you might want to move this to the right forum where more people will see it. ;)

Somebody already did.....

panchosteam
12-10-2009, 16:44
I guess i did not ask the right question, and what i'm trying to figure is if this are the signs of engine blow by... so question should have been: are this the signs of engine blow by?

Mark Rinker
12-10-2009, 18:41
Get the engine fully up to operating temp. With engine running, remove oil fill cap.

Major blow-by will feel like pressure if you put your hand over the fill tube opening. Minor (normal) will not create pressure, but may present oil vapor. No pressure, no vapor is a tight 6.5L.

Not scientific...very subjective. A compression test would be best.

Robyn
12-11-2009, 08:05
If the crankcase vent system (CDR) is working correctly, there should be very little oil vapor coming from the oil fill and or dipstick.

Letting the rig sit for a long period can allow the rings to stick up some.

Starting fluid is a terrible thing to spray into a glow plug engine.

Internal damage can result with its use.

Now, did you have the "smoke" coming from the oil fill and dip stick prior to the incident on the road ???

If this happened after that occurence I am suspect that some damage may have been done.

If the smoke is just a lazy little whisp of vapor its likely not an issue at this point.
If the vapor is Huffing then there are issues.

Keep us posted

Robyn

Mark Rinker
12-11-2009, 18:08
Both of my 6.5s were 'huffers' by the time I got them...