PDA

View Full Version : Just joined; project truck is already dead.

quinryan
12-07-2009, 20:33
Hi. I just found the Diesel Page. Good thing, too, cuz 2 weeks ago I bought an '82 Jimmy w/ the 6.2 that was literally a "barn find", and after a week of happy service it died on me.

I mostly have myself to blame (and the dirty SOB whom I bought it from), because as it had been sitting for 5 years or so the very first thing I should have done after visiting the El Paso County (Colorado) Clerk and Recorder's Office for the appropriate paperwork, was drop the fuel tank and steam it out. I didn't. Instead, I put a lot of Power Service and Lucas products in there and hoped for the best.

Its now sitting lifeless in my driveway is testimony to why the Army teaches that "hope" is a poor technique.

Per the "dirty SOB whom I bought it from", he told me that he had gone through it, top-to-bottom, preparing it for his son. Uh-huh. Well, it did have receipts for a fully rebuilt transmission <10K ago, and new timing gear in a like time frame, and other than the driver's seat, the rest of the interior looked like the 82,500 on the clock (not that he stated as such, nor that I would have believed it anyway).

Anyway, I did drain the fluids and oils straight away, and the crap that came out of the diffs looked like molasses, the oil looked (and could have been used as) ink, I have socks with greater strength than the hoses, and the coolant tested safe to about 85*.

OTOH, the radio picked up the ignition of cars next to me just fine.

It has little of the typical (stereotypical?) rust issues, actually quite a bit less for the year. And though oxidized (you stand in a field at 9500 feet for 4 or 5 years and see how shiny YOUR skin looks), it cleaned up nicely. It should take more than 4 or 5 pounds of Bondo to fix the rot.

I was really, really hoping (bad technique again) that the engine was strong enough to make up for the flaws. It ran like a scalded hound when I drive it. I shouldn't have to tell you that when an n/a diesel wants to MOVE at 9500 feet, that's a good engine.

Now, of course, I need to install hand warmers in the tailgate.

Merde.

When it died, I was way into the Colorado mountains, as close to "banjo country" as we get here. It had been running fine. No loud (extraordinary, anyway) rattles, no odd amounts of smoke (or oddly colored smoke, for that matter) and it had been idling just fine. I know the 6.2 reasonably well from 14 years in the Army.

I was going up a not too steep hill when it got rather alarmingly quiet all of a sudden. After about 30 seconds, It started up again, but with a LOT of smoke, both black and blue. It ran okay until I got to the top of the road, when it died again. Then, it didn't want to play anymore. Fortunately, it was mostly 10 miles downhill to the nearest "town". It started (no large clouds of smoke of either color) again to get me into the parking lot of the local Arm 'N' Leg Fuel Stop, idled out to the road, and died for good.

I have changed both fuel filters, it started with the fuel in the filters, then died again.

Since, I have changed the mechanical pump, tomorrow, Ol' Smokey gets a new g/ps (AC 60s, barring any advice to the better here), an >85 g/p controller, and we'll see what happens.

I DO NOT want this to be the injection pump. So therefore, it isn't.

My other (significantly less expensive/troublesome) thought (YMMV) is that there was enough rust in the tank (31 gallons. Of course it's full), that the rust and other assorted junk came loose and clogged up the sock and other parts of the fuel lines.

From my fingertips to His eyes...

Anyway, when and if I get this wheeled brick up and running, I'll share the Good News and post some pics. Until then, any input from my new learned colleagues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Skip Ryan,
Colorado Springs, CO

82 1/2 GMC Jimmy
93 Wrangler
89 Taurus

2008 Army ACU Desert Boots

More Power
12-08-2009, 13:34
Skip,
Welcome to the board, and to the world of diesel!

The injection pump should be one of the last items to consider for nearly any engine running problem. It's always a possibility, but resist the temptation to go there first, and not before eliminating all of the other reasons.

Pull the electrical connector on top of the fuel inection pump, then crank the engine with the fuel filter air-bleed screw (or loosened fuel line) to check for fuel flow. It mechanical fuel lift pump should deliver about a pint in 15 seconds of cranking. You may have a bad fuel line (sucking air) or a plugged sock in the fuel tank.

Jim