PDA

View Full Version : lower winter cover....HELP!

Stlheadake
12-10-2009, 05:41
OK I consider myself to be fairly intelligent. I can generally figure things out. I can not figure out how this lower bumper cover goes on the truck. It seems to have these 'tabs' that seem to slip into the groove between the front grille and bumper cover. Those work fine.

There are tabs all over the cover, but I can't figure out where they plug into. They don't reach (tried stretching but don't want to pull too hard). The only tabs that are holding it on are across the top of the cover and one on the top side in each wheel well.

I don't want it to blow off! It is 11 degrees out and I want heat! Anyone know where I can get an installation diagram or suggestions on how to make this fit?

I am about to duck tape the freakin' holes closed and just drive it!

npauli
12-10-2009, 05:56
On my '02, it goes on something like this:

1) Bend all the tabs into little hooks.
2) I start hooking them to the edge of the bumper at the top center, working my way out.
3) Do the sides next, down the edge of the wheelwell.
4) Do the bottom last. It's the most accessible, therefore easier to give it a good yank to stretch the hook over the edge.

Took more work the first time than subsequent installations - partly because it stretched, and partly because I figured out how to do it.

I think the sheet with the cover said it will go on easier if you leave the cover inside to warm up first.

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2009, 11:03
Yes. The flat tabs are meant to be bent into hooks and hook onto the bumper. You should have an instruction sheet with the cover. The manual is also supposed to have the instructions, but I haven't seen the later model manuals (earlier models did).

Upper or lower, it is much easier to install them if the covers are warm (more flexible and will stretch for a tight fit when it cools). Just keep it in the house before the install, and don't waste too much time out in the cold installing it. Better if you can do it in a heated shop, or in direct sunlight.

Stlheadake
12-10-2009, 12:59
On my '02, it goes on something like this:

1) Bend all the tabs into little hooks.
2) I start hooking them to the edge of the bumper at the top center, working my way out.
3) Do the sides next, down the edge of the wheelwell.
4) Do the bottom last. It's the most accessible, therefore easier to give it a good yank to stretch the hook over the edge.

Took more work the first time than subsequent installations - partly because it stretched, and partly because I figured out how to do it.

I think the sheet with the cover said it will go on easier if you leave the cover inside to warm up first. Well I'll be a ^&$*#)($*%!!! BEND THE TABS INTO HOOKS! Who in the HELL would have EVER thought of that? GOD I feel stoooopid! It never even occurred to me to bend the damned things!

The ones on the upper cover slide in so snugly between the grille and lights, I assumed that these ALL worked that way! SHEEEESH! You know you go and make something idiot proof, and then I come along! :D

Thanks guys, can this be OUR little secret?

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2009, 19:22
Oh, yeah.....Also bend the lower tabs on the upper cover, too. They won't stay snug while you are driving. If you're lucky (if you don't anchor them), the cover will only come loose and tear off, as opposed to flying up and covering your windshield, or someone else's (if you have luck like me).

Stlheadake
12-10-2009, 20:29
Oh, yeah.....Also bend the lower tabs on the upper cover, too. They won't stay snug while you are driving. If you're lucky (if you don't anchor them), the cover will only come loose and tear off, as opposed to flying up and covering your windshield, or someone else's (if you have luck like me).

Sounds like the voice of experience! :eek:

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2009, 20:44
Sounds like the voice of experience! :eek:

Yes, but not mine (this time). I have really rotten luck. I have to wear a belt and suspenders.

chrisinkanata
12-12-2009, 05:57
As alluded to, you need to have it warm to stretch so it goes on. The warmer it is, the easier and more it stretces. Since I tend to procrastinate and invariably put it on when it's already well into the colder winter temps, I came up with the idea of putting the covers in a large bucket of hot water. Bring the bucket out to the truck and install directly from there. If it cools too much before installed, pour some hot water on it. Works like a charm!

Tons of salt and sand on the roads up here over the winter too. Make sure you've cleaned the inner fleece of as much grit as you can. It'll scratch the bumper and grill if installed with all of last years crap still in it.

Chris

NutNbutGMC
12-12-2009, 07:42
Piece of cardboard ty-wrapped to the inside of the grill. Done deal.

I had two of these things both from new truck purchases and can't give the second one away.

Cardboard... :D