PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Duramax swapp, need dimensions

DieselCurious
12-10-2009, 11:14
I saw a picture in Diesel Power, I think, of a Duramax-powered late 70s-early 80s Camaro. It got me to thinking of getting one of those replacement '68-69 Camaro bodies from Year One, and putting a turbodiesel in it. The 5.9L Cummins could barely squeeze in, but I'm also thinking of using a Duramax. The hard part is trying to find the dimensions of the engine block (length/width/height) of the 6.2L and 6.6L models. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dr.olds
12-10-2009, 14:48
:cool: woulnt that be a lot of weight for a sub frame car? if you make it happen sure would like to see it!

More Power
12-10-2009, 16:58
You may need to modify the firewall to provide additional turbo downpipe clearance and you'll need a cowl induction or pro-mod hood to clear all the stuff on top of the engine. Otherwise, the footprint for the Duramax longblock isn't all that much larger than that of a 454.

The real estate under the hood will be pretty well used up, though, once all the ancillary components have been installed (coolant surge tank, batteries, electrical center, ECM/TCM, A/C, intercooler plumbing, etc).

Like was what mentioned earlier, you'll need to reinforce the subframe, using perhaps race connectors that tie the front and rear together. An airbag system would work to support the added weight (a dressed Duramax weighs approx 835-lbs), though the life of the Camaro ball joints and A-arm bushings could be somewhat shorter because of the added weight. Cool project though.... ;)

Jim

THEFERMANATOR
12-10-2009, 20:29
The CAMARO may be a bit tight without a serious cowl induction hood. Heres a GRAND NATIONAL replica with a DURAMAX in it backed up by a 4L80E(the ALLISON was too tall to fit in it).

http://www.18to1.com/

christophersond
12-11-2009, 08:12
There's another Duramax engine swap project in the February 2010 edition of the Car Craft magazine (page 64 and 65). A shop in Springfield MO is putting an '06 Duramax in a Nova Station Wagon. Excellent coverage with good pictures. When completed, that machine will definitely turns some heads!!