PDA

View Full Version : After all this still hard to start!!!

Basshopper
09-13-2005, 10:27
Spent over $2000 at the dealer to put in a new IP, Filter Assembly housing, Lift pump, and at least it starts now , Sort of, It does run well it just takes forever, compared to before to fire off. Had the whole glow plug circuit checked and each GP checked all is well there. I have had to crank this so much during this whole process that now my starter is acting up and plan to replace that by the weekend.(Any brands you would suggest also on the starter) So as I don't have to do it again, ANY suggestions on the hard starting places to start(not a pun) or look to solve, Thanks for your help

Dvldog 8793
09-13-2005, 13:18
Howdy
-Is the motor spinning over fast or slow?
-Can you hear the lift pump functioning when you turn the key on?
-Has the fuel system been cleared of all air?
-Is the hard starting an issue ALL THE TIME or just when the motor is cold?

My truck is the same year but a different motor. It will start with NO glow time in about 4seconds and with a full glow in about as fast as you can release the key. It has always been that way. Even in the cold it starts better than most gassers. Have you tried running thetank down as far as possible and then using an additive with a full tank of known good fuel? So many questions, so little time!
Hope this helps
L8r
Conley

Basshopper
09-13-2005, 14:12
The one thing I forgot to say was it starts great cold, its when it warms up it starts hard, I did a starter test and it is overdrawing amps so putting a new one on this week, it does seem to turn slower than normal. I can hear the lift pump working while waiting for the GP to heat up, Yes no air I ran it up to 90 mph on the freeway and no misses, Before the new parts were put on it started very easy and quick or shall I say before the pump went out it did. It is a D fuel problem as when I run VO it fires right off if already warmed up so still something not quit right.

charliepeterson
09-13-2005, 18:55
Did the dealer replace the the PMD? Take a look on the repair order. Where it's not under warranty they may have swaped it?

Basshopper
09-13-2005, 19:14
A new PMD came on the NEW IP,

JohnC
09-14-2005, 06:06
VO is thicker than Diesel. This points to a puump problem.

Basshopper
09-14-2005, 11:02
First off it starts better on VO than D, I put on a new starter and that made a lot of difference fires off faster but still not right yet. Has a new lift pump there are 6lbs of pressure at the IP.

twaddle
09-14-2005, 12:02
Hi there,
I'd get them to recheck the inj pump timimg first, just in case.
Do you what it was at before the pump change?
A lot of mechanics just line up the lines without checking with the computer.

Good luck.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

Basshopper
09-14-2005, 17:46
Going in it was =1.85 and when it was done he set it at -1.94 and was very hard starting ete ete so at first we thought it might be the timing so he moved it back to -1.50 and timing did not effect it at all as far as starting. Since the new starter it seems to be starting better but I keep getting the D tank pressuring more than normal when I release the cap the tank sometimes pops from depressurization and not really starting like I would like. I am going to go back to -1.94 this week.