PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing - What to look for?

cutterjoe
12-10-2009, 21:01
We are looking at purchasing a used 3500, 4wd, swd, Duramax, Allison. Our price range is probably in the $22K to $30K range. I would think that our middle ground will probably produce a truck with 80K miles at around $25K, perhaps a 2006 model year. We will use it to haul horse trailers, equipment trailers - hobby ranch type stuff.

We have never owned one of these. Our current P/U is a 1992 F350 with that wonderful(not!) 4EOD auto. As you can see we have been on the sideline for awhile.

What would you look for during the purchase cycle on one of these Duramax/Allison units???? We could care less about the interior. Are there areas where one should really focus - specific components of the drivetrain? We will try to do a pre-purchase inspection.

After other bad experiences with automatric trannies we are skeptical of the Allison. My wifes favorite ride is a 1998 C6500 Topkick with the Eaton 6sp.

BTW - we are looking at a 2006, LLY, 3500 Dura/Allis 4wd.

Love this site - thanks in advance! Sorry for the long post.

Mark Rinker
12-11-2009, 12:36
If you are still looking by mid April or May, I'll have the SRW K3500 truck you are describing for sale here on TDP. Will most likely have around 135K on it by then, but price will be in line with the miles. Its a nicely optioned work truck - white, extended cab, K3500 LBZ well maintained with newer 285 Michelins, batteries, shocks. Has custom heavy duty catwalk mesh running boards (boot scrapers, really...) soft tonneau cover, HD class V receiver, e-brake controller add-ons - otherwise mechanically is bone stock. Its seen mostly long highway miles pulling boats cross-country for my business - about 60K miles put on in the last year...before that was a cement contractors rig, hauling forms for poured basements, Bobcat/trailer, etc.