PDA

View Full Version : Tranny goes to neutral for no apparent reason

Grayfox
12-13-2009, 09:42
I stopped for a bite to eat about to weeks ago. After about an hour and a half I came out to my 05 D-Max and it started fine... no problem. I was sitting facing down hill and put the shift lever in drive and drifted off down hill. As I gave it some gas pedal the engine reved as if it were in neutral. I shifted tru the gears and the tranny wouldn't engage.

I was fortunate to pull into a parking lot at the bottom of the short hill. So I shut the motor down and waited for about 2 minutes refired the Max and everything was good to go. I haven't had any problems since.

Can anyone give me any input as to what might have happened and should I have it checked out before I hook the 5'r up ?

Thanks,

Rick

Mark Rinker
12-15-2009, 07:31
What was going on with the gear indicator as this happened? Many times, that will provide a clue that the PRNDL switch is on its way out, which can cause many strange driveability/gear related weirdness'. Search the forums (on 'PRNDL' and 'NSBU') for LOTS of information on this inexpensive, 'driveway fix'.

Otherwise, if it doesn't return at all, maybe just a glitch in the ECM, TCM, or both?

Grayfox
12-15-2009, 16:15
Mark,

The PRNDL was operating normal. It didn't seem to have a problem. I did neglect to say threre was something on the DIC but, It was gone to quick to even get a clue from the message... couldn't read it.

Mark Rinker
12-15-2009, 17:27
How many miles on current tranny fluid? How many miles since replacing external spin-on filter?

If over 20K on either, I'd put a new filter on, drain and refill the ~7qts that will drain out the bottom. If fluid is dark in color, stinky or burnt smelling, get it ALL out and replace with fresh...

I have experienced more a few 'phantom' transmission errors like this over the years. I believe you can force a TCM re-learn by unhooking both batteries for 15 minutes or so - that would be another something to try if this happens again - can't hurt...

Grayfox
12-16-2009, 11:37
Thanks Mark'

About 5000 mi. on the current filter and 31,000 on the fluid. I only have 31,000 total on the truck.
The truck has been flawless since new. I haven't exp. any of the typical problems that people suggest with this 05 truck. I will say I had the air filter system updated per the service bulliten and the water pump updated even though I had no real overheating problems as well. This was done at the dealers suggestion when I told him I would be towing a 5'r.

Mileage on the highway is about 20 to 22 mpg. if I don't drive like an idiot. Towing it does drop off considerably to about 10 to 12 mpg pulling in the mountains of western Maryland and Pennsylvannia with 265's.

Rick