PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild a 2000 6.5L TD?

SIG220
12-13-2009, 21:23
I am taking my Tahoe up to a friends shop to get it running. I just found out that he has a 2000 6.5 TD engine sitting at his shop that someone gave him. He has no interest in rebuilding it. The tahoe has 200k miles now and I was thinking of pulling it apart and rebuilding it as a little side project and in case my motor goes. Apparently the original owner spun a bearing. I'll get more info tomorrow when I go up there. But Assuming the block isnt cracked is that year motor a good candidate for a rebuild or should I keep my eyes peeled for a better one? Ive tried researching all the different years, engine codes, etc. But my brain is fried:D. Ive been reading that the upper 90's to 2000 were the worst for cracking. Thanks for your input!!

SIG220
12-14-2009, 23:46
I havent gone up there yet but I decided that the price is worth taking some of the good stuff off of it even if the block is toast.

Quick question though... Ive never built/rebuilt/overhauled an engine before. I guess its time for me to pop my cherry:D. I do have friends that are more knowledgeable with motors than I am but theyre still not experts and certainly not with the 6.5 So are there any good sources of information for step by step tear down and rebuild of the 6.5 or diesel engines in general. Im confident with the right resources I can disassemble / reassemble the engine and let a shop do whatever else is necessary. Thanks so much this site has been an amazing resource already!

jerry598
12-15-2009, 07:05
Started to rebuild my 6.5 last spring. Takes some time but can be done by almost anybody. Of course yours is a 2000 and may have some differences. Look at Robyn's assembly/disassembly tips in the tech forum. Also consider the Troubleshooting and Repair Guide available through this site from Jim. Its full of good tips. And, although dated, the free Army manual at the following link.

http://www.skylab.org/~zetan/van/9-2815-237-34.pdf

Others say the GM tech manuals are great but I did mine without them. Sometimes sold on ebay.

SIG220
12-15-2009, 15:28
Thanks! Ive been keeping my eyes peeled for some manuals. Ive seen a couple on ebay but I think they were all electrical related. I found out that its the 6.5 with the turbo mounted on top of the engine in the valley. I guess its actually out of a van. What (aside from the turbo and Im assuming manifolds) is different than a regular 6.5? Would I be able to use that turbo?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-15-2009, 17:00
as far as i know, the heads are also different. as for the turbo, i'm not sure, but i believe it is the same as the truck turbo's. someone will chime in for sure, but i am fairly certain.