PDA

View Full Version : 1983 K5 Blazer Hood Stacks

K5-CJ5
12-14-2009, 19:35
I have am 83 Blazer with a 6.2 and Banks Sidewinder turbo installed.. I use the Blazer for heavy off-roading and it does great. I am trying to get my exhaust out from underneath the rig and want to know if anyone has seen a Blazer with a Hood stack coming directly off the turbo.

If im right it should lower my EGTS. Will I gain any performance from the stack besides not beating it on the rocks?

If anyone has pics of a hood stack on a Blazer please post.

Thanks

john8662
12-15-2009, 08:01
I can be done easily. Check out my video on youtube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk8g_PzW47M)

You need a short radius 3" 90 degree bend, a 3" to 4" pipe flange, a turbo flange and a 4" chrome 90 tip off (be tastefull please). Your downpipe flange you have now will work. Then you'll need to remove your inner fender (so you can see what you're doing) and tack the up pipe to the turbo flange and point it up. You will then need to find out where that hole in the hood needs to be, before cutting.

The only issue I ran into was the air conditioning box, I left the box on the firewall initially, but the lines will be in the way. But, you've likely killed the lines already on the offroad rig. There might be room for it though.

The only thing that SUCKS about a hood stack (my K2500 in my signature now has the stack kit as the race truck doesn't have a stack any more) is that RAIN will go down the hole and into the turbo. So you have to cover it up, it needs to be a removable stack (to get the hood up).

K5-CJ5
12-15-2009, 18:06
Thanks for the info... Does the inner fender have to be removed for clearance or did you just remove it so that you could easily tack weld the elbow? I was looking and didn't think that the inner fender would get in the way.