PDA

View Full Version : 'Motor Trend' brand oil filter seal fails at -7F

Mark Rinker
12-15-2009, 11:04
A cold startup this morning resulted in a 3qt puddle and an ugly black stripe out of my driveway, up the block in the snow until it ceased about three blocks later...

Jiffy Lube of Elk River, MN performed the last oil/filter/lube about 3K previously. They cheerfully reinstalled a new filter (different brand this time) and added the 3qts synthetic to top things off. (I kept the old filter, in case it was needed in the future for evidence, but I am certain the oil pressure was sufficient during the whole incident to keep the engine happy...just dumb luck that the seal re-seated as the engine warmed up.)

I feel fortunate that in my advancing age, I forgot something, and returned home only minutes later - following the ugly trail of oil in the freshly plowed snow - right back to my own driveway, where I was greeted by about 1qt in a single, huge puddle. :mad::mad::mad:

The filter was threaded properly, and was plenty tight. By the time I came home to discover the mess, it was no longer leaking, but it was apparent from underneath that the seal had failed and ALOT of oil pumped out, in a very short time - maybe the first quart was in the inital puddle where the truck was parked - in less than 1 minute. I did not sit and idle very long, just long enough to get good oil PSI on the gauge, slip it very gently into reverse to back out of the driveway, then into 2nd to start my "roll up the street to make some heat..."

It took a complete 50lb bag of floor dry to cover the mess in my driveway. The street...well...lets hope it snows again soon...

JohnC
12-15-2009, 12:00
Wonder if the relief valve stuck....

Once had that happen to a customer's car. Blew the can right off the filter base!

The Mitsubishi Eclipse 16 valve turbo specs a filter that can handle a 240 psi surge.

Mark Rinker
12-15-2009, 12:11
Makes sense to me - why else would it have 're-sealed' after operating temps started to rise?

I would say time from cold start to 'leak stop' to be about 2.5 minutes, max. The leak ended abruptly after the first stop sign. At about that point, I would have started to bring the RPMs up to ~2500, to make heat while holding in 2nd gear in a 30mph zone.