PDA

View Full Version : OnStar - Learned Something Today

EdHale
12-17-2009, 09:00
I have been meaning to test OnStar's door unlock feature for a long time and today I finally did it. I called OnStar and they were very cordial, unfortunately my truck hasn't been driven in 4 days and the door unlock option would not work. It seems OnStar goes to sleep after 48 hours of non use of the vehicle and they can not unlock the doors. I'm glad to know that when I really did not need it.

You learn something every day.

Ed

JohnC
12-17-2009, 13:05
I recall that it wakes up periodically. Don't know if they can queue up an unlock request or if they can predict when it will wake up...

EdHale
12-17-2009, 14:06
They told me once is is down, it stays down until you start it. They also said they do not have the ability to wake it up remotely.

JohnC
12-17-2009, 15:37
You are correct. the behavior I was remembering stops after 48 hours. Here's what I was remembering:

The OnStar® system uses three states of readiness:

High Power
Low Power
Sleep
The High power state is in effect whenever the ignition is in the "ON" or "RUN" position, and enables the OnStar® system to send and receive cellular calls and perform all remote functions. The Low power state is entered once the vehicle ignition is placed in the "OFF" position and the retained accessory power (RAP) function has been turned off, or times out. This state will last for one minute and allows incoming cellular calls to be received. After the one minute "window", the OnStar® system moves to the Sleep state. This state will not recognize or receive incoming cellular calls. At a predetermined time recorded within the VCIM (up to nine minutes), the system re-enters the Low power state to listen for a call from the OnStar® Call Center for one minute. After this interval, the system will again return to the Sleep state for nine minutes. After these nine minutes, the system will again enter the Low state of power and listen for any incoming calls that the OnStar® Call Center may be sending. In the event a call is being sent, the OnStar® system will receive the call and immediately go into the High power mode to perform any requested functions. If no call is received during the one-minute interval, the system will go back into the sleep mode for another nine minutes. This process will continue for up to 48 hours, after which, the OnStar® system will permanently enter the Sleep state until the ignition is once again turned to the "ON" or "RUN" position.

WyoDutch
12-17-2009, 17:32
This is my first On-Star vehicle and so far... the onboard fone is the only feature I've used. Not sure I want a device in my vehicle that can perform remote shutdowns and monitor where I am.

If I cancel On-star, I'm making certain it's disconnected by having my radio guy disconnect the antenna.

Call me paranoid... but if the government can get access to cell fone records, I don't feel all that comfortable about On star's pledge that they don't eavesdrop.

When I drive my '84, I don't have to wonder what's going on that I don't know about. :)

JohnC
12-18-2009, 12:11
If it's like my '06 all you need to do is unplug the cell phone module.

"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't let you do that...."

WyoDutch
12-18-2009, 16:03
Alas... I digress