PDA

View Full Version : New engine startup - dumb question

jerry598
12-18-2009, 20:09
OK, I'm about ready to fire up my rebuild. Do I dare try to start it for 30 seconds or less without the serpentine belt and the radiator and cooling system filled and ready? I'd just like to know its going to run before I button it up completely, and also to more easily check for fuel system leaks.

Robyn
12-18-2009, 21:03
Not an issue.

When I lit the first fire in DaHooooley I did not even have coolant in the beast.

30 seconds wont hurt a thing.

Dont want to be running it for 5 minutes but 30-45 seconds will not hurt a thing

I wanted to get mine lit to make sure everything was sweet before I spent the time and hastle to fill the radiator all the way up and such.

Let it rip.

Hint

Prime the fuel system so you have fuel to the IP
Leave the glow plugs out and roll the engine until you get fuel blowing out the glow holes.

Screw in the plugs and it will start easy.

Rolling without the plugs in,the engine spins very fast and while the thing does not have to fight compression it will purge the injectors right quick.

Once you have fuel it will fire right off and likely not miss a beat.

Mine started up as though it had been sitting just overnight from a run to town.

Good luck
Missy

jerry598
12-18-2009, 22:29
Thank you Robyn! You have been an ispiration through this entire rebuild!

I'm going to install a couple new batteries (old ones are shot), and then crank it to fill the lines, just like you said. Be a comfort to know that there are no fuel leaks, at least in the the first startup. And it'll be nice to see that the oil pressure comes up OK too. Then I'lll finish the button up! What excitment! My horses want me to get over this obsession with the rebuild so they'll have more time with me. Don't think my wife really cares except that she won't have to hear me talking about the thing anymore.

Final question. I think there is about a half tank of fuel left in it, sitting there for about 9 mos. to 1 year. I should probably siphon it out, right? And refill with 5 gal. of fresh, right?
Any suggestions for disposing of the old fuel?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-19-2009, 09:45
if you want, siphon it out, and reuse it later. one of our trucks sat for over a year and we started it and ran it fine on that fuel.

SmithvilleD
12-19-2009, 10:28
Yeah, unless you have reason to believe something is wrong with the fuel or it's contaminated, I'd burn it.

If you want to syphon/drain the tank of the old fuel, just refill mostly with fresh fuel, then blend in , say 5 gallons of old fuel to each tank, over the first few tanks on the fresh engine. 5 gal per tank is an arbitrary volume - blend whatever % you think practical; the general point would be to dilute the older fuel w/ fresh fuel. Probably not necessary, but no cost to do this beyond your time & you'd get the value back in burning the old fuel.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-19-2009, 12:52
Agreed. Mixing can do no harm at all. lets us know how that engine starts. ;)

rustyk
12-19-2009, 20:13
Pre lube the system - a drill with an adaptor can prssurize the oil pump

jerry598
12-20-2009, 10:11
I did the prelube with a drill. Oil pumped really well through the oil cooler lines and the filter. But, without the pump drive gear in place no oil got to the lifters as far as I could tell. I'm counting on the lifters and all else to be lubed up during the fuel priming stage when I'll crank the engine quite a bit before installing the glows. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback about the old fuel in the tank!

Roachie
01-13-2010, 04:18
Just a note about the fuel sitting in the tank for a long time.....

Here in Australia we find that if a diesel tank is left idle with an air gap in the tank (ie: the tank is only half or three quarters full etc), then there is a real good chance that condensation will form in the tank and cause issues with moisture in the filter and maybe IP.

I suggest the old fuel be dropped and saved or maybe just fill the tank full on top of the existing fuel, so any water is diluted.

Then keep an eye on the filter to ensure there is no water in there.

Roachie

sailun
01-16-2010, 22:05
If you decide to drain that fuel, I will safely and properly dispose of it for you, in my furnace !

No charge !

jerry598
01-17-2010, 22:38
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I left the old fuel in the tank and added another 5 gal. of fresh along with an extra helping of fuel additive, then filled the tank on the first trip to town. There was less than 10 gal. of old fuel in the tank. Had no problems with the startup and so far no water in fuel problem after 125 miles.

The timing may be off a bit though. When I bolted on the IP I retarded the timing a bit toward the passen. side from the original mark on the front cover. Startup's are still a bit rough in the first 30 seconds or so. I suppose it could be due to a glow not getting power but with the new timing chain I thought the timing should be adjusted a bit. Might move the pump back to where the marks line up. But, it seems to run perfect after it warms up, all the way to 2700 rpms. Don't want to go higher than that yet.