PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a 6.5!

tanman_2006
12-20-2009, 09:41
I've been on this site for close to a year now reading and wishing I had a 6.5.

Yesterday I flew out of Tulsa, Ok to Minneapolis, Mn to pick up a 95 Chevy Z71 extended cab short bed, w/ a 6.5, FSD Cooler, 129K on the engine, 229K on the truck, has some rust which is typical of the area I guess but for the price I can over look it and have new rocker pannels installed the body is otherwise straight. I drove the beast back to Enid, Ok.

Truck ran great the whole 900 miles, my only issue was the torque converter seemed to lock and unlock around 50-55mph when I was driving through town or construction zones w/o cruise set, it holds fine when cruise is set. When it locked and unlocked it felt rough, Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

DennisG01
12-20-2009, 11:47
Congratulations!

Right around 50mph is where the TC will lock with very light throttle. If you then push the go pedal a little harder, it will likely unlock - that's normal. So, it kind of depends on a combination of speed and throttle input. As you go faster, it'll be less likely to unlock. Try 3rd gear, going about 60MPH and see how well it holds.

But, check your tranny fluid - both for proper level and condition.

I'm sure there is a much more elaborate and technical explanation for this, but dat ain't for me to say! :)

tanman_2006
12-20-2009, 14:03
If just feels alil rougher than I would expect but I guess with 229K on it maybe thats something that should be expected. Thanks for the reply.

After driving it around town today the check engine light comes on at stop lights and low speeds then goes away after I press the gas pedal. Runs fine still, no smoke on start ups, alil black when under heavy throttle at stop lights and only for a second.

Anyone know what could cause this? I know there is a way to stick a bent paper clip in the port to get the code but I'm not sure how exactly to do it.

I appreciate the help.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-20-2009, 17:30
you are going to need a reader. the truck is OB2, and can't be read with a paper clip.

tanman_2006
12-20-2009, 17:34
Really I thought it was 95 and older for some reason. Would O'Rielleys have one and how much would it cost to buy one, i'm sure it will come in handy.

JohnC
12-21-2009, 18:20
'95s are ODB I and can be read with the paperclip. there are instructions on www.thedieselpage.com and also on John Kennedy's web site.

tanman_2006
12-21-2009, 18:28
'95s are ODB I and can be read with the paperclip. there are instructions on www.thedieselpage.com (http://www.thedieselpage.com) and also on John Kennedy's web site.

Ok, thanks. The light doesn't need to be on to retrieve the code correct?

JohnC
12-21-2009, 20:28
Most codes are stored for 50 start cycles if they don't recur.

tanman_2006
12-22-2009, 17:45
Looks like a code 18: Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error

Also today when the light came on at a stop light I put the truck in Neutral and the light went off, when I put it back in drive the light came back on.

Can someone explain this in english please? What should I check?

Thanks.

JohnC
12-22-2009, 19:45
That code means the optical position sensor inside the injection pump is cating up. You can try changing the fuel filter and running a couple of tanks full of a good fuel additive. Also, check the grounds, especially the one on the rear of the passenger's side intake manifold studs, but.... I suspect you'll be looking at a new injection pump in the not too distant future.

Read the stalling thread in the 6.5 tech forum for more ideas and information.

tanman_2006
12-23-2009, 11:12
Thanks for the help.

The fuel filter is new and I've been runnig ATF in the past few tanks, does that count as additive?

I'll look into getting a new Injection Pump.

Can the sensor be changed on the old one?

Sorry if that is answered in the stalling thread, I'm at work and haven't got a chance to read that yet.

GMC Hauler
12-23-2009, 12:15
Thanks for the help.

The fuel filter is new and I've been runnig ATF in the past few tanks, does that count as additive?

I'll look into getting a new Injection Pump.

Can the sensor be changed on the old one?

Sorry if that is answered in the stalling thread, I'm at work and haven't got a chance to read that yet.

The ATF can cause the issue you describe with the encoder wheel. I run 2 cycle oil. I used to add 16 oz per fill-up, but that caused a check engine light and sent the engine into limp mode. I only run 8 oz at most fill-ups now. I've never seen the light again since.

Skip the ATF for a few tanks and see if that clears the problem. If so, reduce your use of ATF.

tanman_2006
12-23-2009, 14:01
The ATF can cause the issue you describe with the encoder wheel. I run 2 cycle oil. I used to add 16 oz per fill-up, but that caused a check engine light and sent the engine into limp mode. I only run 8 oz at most fill-ups now. I've never seen the light again since.

Skip the ATF for a few tanks and see if that clears the problem. If so, reduce your use of ATF.

Ok, thanks. I'll try that. But it was doing it before I started adding it. We had a 94 1 ton 6.5 and always ran ATF and never had issues that seemed to be related to it.

GMC Hauler
12-23-2009, 14:05
Ok, thanks. I'll try that. But it was doing it before I started adding it. We had a 94 1 ton 6.5 and always ran ATF and never had issues that seemed to be related to it.

Is the 94 a DB-2 pump (mechanical, not electronic)? if so, it would not have those issues that the electronic pumps would have.

tanman_2006
12-23-2009, 14:09
It was electronic. It was our farm truck, but a hired hand blew it up a few years back.

tanman_2006
12-23-2009, 14:26
If I get vin F pump do I need to find a vin F intake? Or is there any advantage to a Vin F pump?

JohnC
12-23-2009, 18:30
The only year that had a "Vin F Pump" was 94. 95 and later all used the same pump. Programming made the difference.

The optical sensor can be changed, but it is not recommended. Someone wrote up the procedure a few years back. Search the forums for a link.

ATF was not designed to be burned. Use a real Diesel additive or use 2 stroke oil.

tanman_2006
12-24-2009, 08:15
Ok thanks.

Are the reman Pumps from O Rielley's ok? If not where should I buy one from?