PDA

View Full Version : Tore into and old one....

raunch
12-21-2009, 08:51
....Here's what I found
6.2, 'c' intake out of a suburban. So far, year unknown.

Pulled of the heads to find the rocker arm broken at the 5th valve back on the drivers side. Push rod was bent. Piston in that cylinder is about halfway in the stroke. There is no visible sign of the piston smacking the valve.

The motor it self is full of rust. Inside valve covers, all over rockers and push rods, timing chain and gears in the front cover, cylinders and pistons.

I drained the oil and the 1st thing to come out of the hole was about 2 quarts of crystal clear water.(!!!) It must have been left out in the rain with the intake open?

So with all the rust, and assuming that there are no cracks, are the block and heads salvageable?

With the valve being the culprit in the demise of the motor, my guess (and hope) is that the accessories are all good. Got the thing fully loaded with all the attachments.

Thanks, and happy holidays.

HillBilly2
12-23-2009, 05:31
There's really no way to determine if it is salvagable without teardown and probably tanking. The tank will remove the rust, and if there is no pitting or cracks you may be able to use the block. Even if the bores are pitted a overbore will probably clean them up. I'd strip it down and ask your machinist if it is fixable.

raunch
12-23-2009, 08:06
Thanks for the info. Maybe after the new year I'll get the crank and pistons out and have the block checked out. The heads are going to a friend in town.

About an overbore....what's the max? I haven't checked the casting numbers yet, but pretty sure it's not a '599'.

Robyn
12-23-2009, 09:14
If it has a two piece rear main its not a 599

The real late 6.2 engines were built on the 599 casting with the one piece rear main.

john8662
12-23-2009, 12:49
Id like to see a pix of the broken rocker arm if you don't mind.

Cast or Stamped steel version rocker arm?

raunch
12-23-2009, 16:11
I'll get you a pic Monday and look over the rockers a bit more. Didn't look too close at the rockers--I was in tear it apart mode, and they are covered in rust.

raunch
12-28-2009, 08:13
Sorry--no photos. Both sets of camers batteries were dead and the heads went away to another. But I can say that it wasn't actually the rocker arm that was broken, rather it was the shaft. The shaft broke at the bolt hole. The assembly appears to be cast.

BTW, block casting is a '660' and upon visual inspection, appears to be crack free. What rust there is in the cylinders looks like surface rust.

john8662
12-28-2009, 22:57
Yeah, 82-84 vintage cast iron rocker arm assemblies. The shafts are part of the weak link, besides poor oiling characteristics on the bushings...

Thanks for the update.

Always good to find a builder non-cracker.